Shift/Reverse Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

nesnfred

I have 2008 Wake 230. My shift cable broke. I ordered one from Amazon and it matched up perfectly…I thought. The shift mechanism at its base has four half circle slots on the bottom, each corner. The shift cable is held in place by a metal plate that locks cable in place in the back left half circle slot.

Once I got it all installed, I realized the neck of the cable (specifically the crimp sleeve as it transitions to the connecting shaft) on the shift mechanism side is more narrow than the original one. It keeps slipping through that slot which is problematic because the cable must be secured so the inner wire connected to the reverse bucket has to move independently of the outer cable sleeve.

Interestingly, the two front half circle slots on the bottom of the shift mechanism are more narrow and the new shift cable locks perfectly in the front left one. The only problem is that now the gear selector is in forward when pulled back and reverse when pushed forward. I’ll have to adapt!

Anyone else run into this? Are all the new cables like this?

Appreciate the advice...but that's my question. When I go to seadoowarehouse.com the old part number has been replaced (old is 204160218) and the new one is (268000109). And when you search the new part number, it matches exactly to the one I now have. My concern is that they only make these newer ones and to make it work correctly, you have to replace the shift mechanism. Does anyone else have a source for the original cable?

The OEM supplier of these cables is Teleflex. Is there a part number printed anywhere on the original cable that might help you order from Teleflex? Maybe call them directly and ask?

Thanks Premix…I ended up just installing the one I ordered. It works great…just have to remember that forward is down and reverse is up…just like a car so it’s been fine. I am going to start securing the reverse gate whenever trailering. Never realized how much stress is on that reverse cable.

I have lost speed on my 2008 Wake 155 jetski. Rpms are ok. Pump is clean, prop looks ok. I did notice that the reverse gate bottom contour sits even with the top of outlet venturi when in forward position. Is this normal, could water outlet be channeled up through the gate reducing my speed. Is there any adjustments to pull the gate up away from the water outlet. The gate is not stuck, moves freely between forward, neutral and reverse.

I have lost speed on my 2008 Wake 155 jetski. Rpms are ok. Pump is clean, prop looks ok. I did notice that the reverse gate bottom contour sits even with the top of outlet venturi when in forward position. Is this normal, could water outlet be channeled up through the gate reducing my speed. Is there any adjustments to pull the gate up away from the water outlet. The gate is not stuck, moves freely between forward, neutral and reverse.
Hey Mike, doesn't sound like your reverse gate is the problem based on what you have described. On my boat, there is an adjusting nut that sets the position of the reverse gate but when you are in forward, it should always be up in a full lock position. You should be able to confirm that with it on the trailer. You should post about your loss of speed in one of the jet ski threads...I'm sure people will have some suggestions. I know some typical suspects will be a worn wear ring, improper oil levels, your throttle cable could need adjusting, and also of course the super charger beginning to fail. Godspeed sorting it out!

ok, found my problem (by accident) Just test ran it, 56 mph top speed. This may be worth mentioning, never heard of this problem before. While looking at the reverse gate with a good flashlight, I noticed there was a missing upper bolt in the back housing on the jet pump, farther investigation revealed a broken bolt on the other upper, found both bottom bolts loose. Replaced the missing bolt and tightened all 3. The seadoo runs like a new one. At some time I will have to drill out the broken stud and replace it but I am fat and happy for now.

ok, found my problem (by accident) Just test ran it, 56 mph top speed. This may be worth mentioning, never heard of this problem before. While looking at the reverse gate with a good flashlight, I noticed there was a missing upper bolt in the back housing on the jet pump, farther investigation revealed a broken bolt on the other upper, found both bottom bolts loose. Replaced the missing bolt and tightened all 3. The seadoo runs like a new one. At some time I will have to drill out the broken stud and replace it but I am fat and happy for now.
Glad you found it! Yes, it’s a good idea to check the torque on those every year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back