Shaking out my 03-XP-DI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetman150

so, new here, first (second) new to me 03 XP-DI. I love the ski, its totally awesome and runs like a bat out of hell when its running good.. Ive had a few issues though. hope to be able to discuss and get them worked through here..

the ski would normally have a decent holeshot, great midrange, and awesome topend.. it would run about 6850-6900 rpms, Ive been told that is very good.. compression is 150 psi in each cylinder(i believe it had a topend rebuild before i bought it.. ) it runs flawlessly, except for a couple issues which have popped up in the past couple weeks.

- water regulator.. I replaced the diaphragm, and the ski suddenly would only turn a max of 6700-6750 rpms.. and it was sluggish on the bottom end.. the spring nside is so strong, i believe it is keeping the valve open. Ive ordered a new spring, and hope that will help solve the issue. The housing has the non-adjustable cap on it, and ive been seeing where others have adjusted thiers to suit thier tunes.. my main question is, "at what rpms should the valve close? " , or, better yet, how to properly get this setting matched up with the rave valve settings?

- Fuel pump. my dang fuel pump went out.. so i found a replacement on ebay, this could possibly be some of the sluggishness and rpm issues as awell, as it went out as soon as i repaired the water regulator.. strange, coincidence i think.. i also tried to use an automotive filter on the line, but i went ahead and paid the good money for a seadoo assembly.. i think overall for the life of my ownership, this will be a better choice..

- Oil tank.. for some strange reason, the ski seems to be using a lot of oil. like a tank to every two tanks of gas.. this is not normal is it? I am using seadoo xp-sII synthetic.. one of the issues I have here also, is that the oil line will not remain primed above the filter.. I usually prime it, fill up the filter, fill up the line before every time i go out, and after an hour or two, there is air above the filter.. i have ran it like this for an hour or so unknowingly, and it seems that oil is still supplying to the filter, and below the filter between the pump, its always full.. so im not sure whats going on there.. i have ordered a new separator and check valve, and that might help, but i dont think that will solve the issue..

- bilge pump.. how can i check if this is working? is there a float switch somewhere? or is this always on? its still stock, i dont have a problem with water in the hull, unless i take a big wave, but its one more concern that i should limit..

other than that, when the ski is running, its a hell of a lot of fun.. i can carve up the lake like a mad man, jump waves, and accelerate and hit top speed pretty quickly, my speedo is saying 60-62, but i know that is false.. my goals with it are to create a midrange monster that has good holeshot with decent top speed.. the only thing that gets me, is keeping it hooked up in rough water.. I was thinking about an R&D grate, but I think I will wait until im ready to do an impeller.. Ive ordered an Adjust-A-Thrust, so im hoping to get that installed and tuned as soon as i get all repairs made and get the ski worked out..

sorry fo rthe long post, just thought I would get it all over with in one shot!!

dam thats a ton of oil. I not sure how it can run that rich. Its suppose to be like 40 to 1 or something like that. I love my xpdi just alwqays worried cause i read so many horror storys. But mines bullet proof so far. How many hours n miles do u have on ski. I at like 38 hours n 350 miles

is it possible that your vent valve on the oil tank is clogged up? also check for oil residue around the grommet at the bottom of the tank, they are a known source of leaks, but that would be a ton of oil in the bottom of the ski if it were leaking that much. you should look into synchronizing the oil pump lever with the throttle, or the cable could be frayed and holding the pump open all the time, but you should be seeing a ton of smoke if you're burning that much oil. it has to be going somewhere though.

as for the rpms and water regulator, i'll leave that to one of the folks more experienced in 951s

yep, no smoke, no malodor, ski runs fine.. no oil in the bottom of the hull.. the oil tank does have residue all over it though.. seems its seeping from the grommet around the separator.. but not that much really..

I will check the synchronization of the pump to the throttle.. other than that, theres not much adjustment is there?

i'm not familiar with the DI skis to be sure how much adjustment there is, but do check that the pump lever is moving with the throttle like it should. if the cable somehow got frayed, it could stick with the pump wide open all the time, but even then i'm not sure it would use that much oil, and it would smoke quite a bit too.

So, I recieved all my parts last night, and went to work with what I could get done..

Turns out my water regulator, was "adjusted" by the previous owner, so I replaced all the parts that I ordered on it, and turned it 3 clicks out from the bottom, plus 2.. (my raves are dialed all the way in.. )
Hopefully this will help with the RPM issue..

I pulled the oil separator off my tank last night, and it turns out the bottom half of it is broken off, and probably floating around in the tank.. so im working on pulling the tank, getting any debris out of it, and re installing super clean..
The oil pump pulley does move when I pull the throttle cable, so I believe that is good to go, the marks also line up..
Im thinking that I usually run the ski full throttle 80-90% of the time anyways, well, because thats how I ride, so thats why im using so much oil.. either that, or its getting blown out by the air compressor or something.. I dont know where its going, its definitiely not in the hull or bilge..

Maybe I can get the fuel pump and new filter on tonight..

Your oil consumption still is odd. Wether u ride wide open or not its a mixture, like 50 to 1 or what ever it is. So at 50 to 1 ya should run 50 gallons of gas to 1 gallon of mix. I ride wot pretty much non stop. I prolly fill my tank like 7 to 10 times for every gallon of mix. Its just a guess but i sure i done fill it every 2 tanks. That be like a mixture of 16 to 1 .

im not even sure where to start with the oil consumption issue.. im going to fix the other issues, and see where it goes from there.. might just be an odd condition or something..

I got the repairs completed last night.. the old separator was full of oil, and absolutely covered in it.. I have suspected this is where the oil all over the tank is coming from.. I have also been checking the tank for leaks, but I dont notice any loss of oil, unless the ski has been running..
the check valve from the separator actually fell into the oil hose outlet on the tank, and was creating an obstruction.. strange situation, but it still allowed oil to flow into the line filter.. I dont believe my problem is with the oil pump itself, because it seems that it does not actually pump that much oil, otherwise the line wouldve ran out of oil much faster .. Im thinking all is okay there.. because the amount of oil that was going through the line was miniscule.. I could prime the line, before riding, and get the filter filled up completely, ride for about an hour, and then there would only be about a quarter to half ounce used out of the line..
after getting that dang piece out of the oil outlet, the line filled up no problems.. so thats a relief.. probably stupid me for running it like that, but i didnt see the obstruction before and didnt know to look for it..

im hoping that fixes it.. I think the next step is to pressure check the tank..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back