Shaft seal after engine flood… did I run it to long

Pipeandwire

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hello all,
2003 SD 4-tec wake 1500 non supercharged

After 20 years of skiing I had a one time brain fart doing a prep before an upcoming trip w the family and the ski. I did the dreaded turned the engine off first and forgot about the water for long enough to flood to the engine. It was bad, hydro locked, chocolate milk oil the whole 9 yards. I was able to get thru it and get all the water out, oil changes etc etc. however once I fired it back up cleaned out I ran it for a bit forgetting about the consequences of the shaft seal. Prob ran for a solid 10+ minutes. My question is, do you think it’s ok or should I drive it for an hour to bring it to the lake to put it in the water and check or throw the towel in and change it out straight away. I m just not sure how much residual water I may see in the ski after putting it in the water and driving around a bit. I have to test this out pre vacation so I don’t blow it for the whole time later this month.
Hoping for some help..thanks

Not sure if the carbon ring was damaged but with a 20 year old PWC you may find out the drive shaft has excessive pitting under the O-rings making it impossible to reassemble them after you pull it out.

Just went through this with my 2005. The O-rings kept rolling on the shaft causing the the PTO bearing collar and hat of the carbon seal to lock up as I tried to push the shaft through them.
They rolled due to the deep pits caused by the corrosion on the shaft.

Grease made it worse. Light oil and polishing the shaft on the lathe helped. To get all the pits out would require machining the shaft considerably under size.

If you are going to replace the carbon ring, start the project early in case you find you need another shaft,

Not sure if the carbon ring was damaged but with a 20 year old PWC you may find out the drive shaft has excessive pitting under the O-rings making it impossible to reassemble them after you pull it out.

Just went through this with my 2005. The O-rings kept rolling on the shaft causing the the PTO bearing collar and hat of the carbon seal to lock up as I tried to push the shaft through them.
They rolled due to the deep pits caused by the corrosion on the shaft.

Grease made it worse. Light oil and polishing the shaft on the lathe helped. To get all the pits out would require machining the shaft considerably under size.

If you are going to replace the carbon ring, start the project early in case you find you need another shaft,
Oddly enough I did run it out to the lake. While it started right up before I left the house it wouldn’t start after I put it in the water. I pulled it, yanked and cleaned the plugs, got a couple more squirts of water that were hiding and it fired right up. I dumped it into the lake let it run for 15 minutes before taking it out of the dock. After about 15 more minutes of cruising at 20mph I opened it up and it eventually ran great. I did see any leaking into the tub but I drove it mostly. So I don’t have my complete 100% answer as to whether the seal is leaking or not. Gonna have to let it sit I guess for a little bit once I go on vacation and hope it holds. At minimum maybe beach it when not in use if I do see some seapage. Thanks for the tips on the shaft.

Back