Sensor issues with 2011 4-TEC NA transplant into 2003 GTX NA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsw1

Hi all,

I have just installed a 2011 NA 4-TEC into a 2003 GTX. Managed to get it started but have check eng error. The main issue I am seeking advice on is that the oil suction assembly is different on the 2011 engine and therefore the two sensor leads that go to the TOPS and OSPS have no where to plug onto and I suspect are causing my errors. However it does look like the TOPS valve is now at the back with a small plug underneath but not sure it's the same function though and no OSPS at all. Also I think the OPS might operate different on the newer engine. My next step is to conduct physical check for oil pressure and check OPS is functioning correctly.

Has anyone had some experience on this and how to get the old ECU and wiring harness working on the newer 2011 engine.

Thanks DSW1

i think you are going have a few problems, a lot of the sensors changed how they operate after 06. i had problem with ops sensor. >06 was put on a 04 ecu.

Thanks for your input. I do have the original 2003 OPS sensor and will try that soon, I'm hoping that will resolve that problem. However not sure what to do about the OSPS? I do have the entire broken 2003 motor so could instal the old oil suction pump assembly on the 2011 block but not sure if any internal changes have been made that would cause a problem and trying to avoid major work like that if possible.

I've done several engine swaps this way and there are several differences. The engine block itself is a little different in that it has a vent hole for the newer TOPS system and the crank timing chain pin is in a different position. The simplest swap is to use new electronics, meaning new ECU and wiring harness. If not available and you have to use the old electronics, it is possible but you'll have to change the crank(or at least the timing chain gear), weld up the vent hole on the block, and use the old pto cover which has the pickup in a different location. See below for the crank difference.

http://www.shopsbt.com/seadoo-jetsk...-crankshaft-4-Tec-Jet-Ski-Boat-2006-2014.html

Hi Ski-d00, thanks for your advice. The 2011 motor is installed complete and running on the old ECU and wiring harness however only at idle so far. The new crank case vent at the rear if the head is supposedly purely mechanical but there is a plug underneath for something (not the CAPS). Do u know what that is? Also the CPS appears to be working with the old ECU even though the resistance is supposedly different. I still have the OPS error but hoping the will be resolved when I install the old OPS suited to the old ECU.

Yes, it technically will run but will always have errors and put itself into limp mode. The cap is the camshaft plug where the can be removed. The new tops system is only mechanical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back