Seadoo taking on water (possibly carbon ring?)

Jacksoncolazio

Hi, my 1996 720 gti is taking on water steady enough for the bilge pumps to run behind and slowly fill up on water. I’ve checked every hose and can confirm they all are good water wise, but I have a suspicion that my carbon ring is causing this leak. It looks relatively good condition in my opinion but I lose power when full throttling and then half throttle runs mint. It does seem ever so slightly lose when watching it spin in the water. My friends dad mentioned it could be the wear ring but I’m not sure how to check that, and when searching it up it said that the wear ring wouldn’t take on water even when it’s bad?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 34
the rubber accordion boot behind the carbon ring is what pushes and holds pressure of the carbon ring against the stainless cap. It gets stiff with age and needs replacing. You can use a zip tie as a spacer to get you through until you can replace it. I have been running with a zip tie for 3 seasons now. I keep meaning to order the carbon ring kit.

the rubber accordion boot behind the carbon ring is what pushes and holds pressure of the carbon ring against the stainless cap. It gets stiff with age and needs replacing. You can use a zip tie as a spacer to get you through until you can replace it. I have been running with a zip tie for 3 seasons now. I keep meaning to order the carbon ring kit.
Okay I did see people saying this works, where do I put the zip tie?

There are a couple places you can put it. With my boot, I was able to use tie as a spacer between the end of the boot and the carbon ring. I think I have read where others put it at the other end to act as a spacer between the thru-hull and the boot.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_0091.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
There are a couple places you can put it. With my boot, I was able to use tie as a spacer between the end of the boot and the carbon ring. I think I have read where others put it at the other end to act as a spacer between the thru-hull and the boot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Back