seadoo spx 717 - mpem problem - help =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike martinez

Premium Member
Premium Member
I went out today to the beach. Before leaving my house I checked to make sure my ski started with no problems. When I got to the beach i put it in the water and started it...I left the marina and 2 seconds later my ski shuts off completely and I had to get towed in...I checked the MPEM and noticed that I blew the 5 amp fuse connected to the brain. I also blew the 7.5 fuse as well.

I dont know what caused this but I went ahead and purchased a new mpem for my ski on ebay because I got it for cheap. But now when I install this one I want to make sure nothing is causing my brain to go haywire or fry. What should i be looking for so I make sure that my new brain works properly...I know the brain that was in there before was 12 years old and i have already been riding for 2 months with no problems until now. I cannot get the ski started so I next day aired the new mpem and there is still salt water in my motor...what do you guys recommend?
:confused:

Im not sure if you are the one that emailed me about the MPEM repair but if so. Do like I said, jump the silinoid and get all of the water out you can.

If you did not sink the ski or get any water in the cylinders while towing you will be fine.

A little salt water in the cooling system for a few days wont kill the ski. The new MPEM Should work fine.

The most common cause of the MPEM blowing the 5 amp fuse is Jump starting the ski or running with a low / bad battery.

Charge your battery up the night before putting the new MPEM in and you will be fine.

Don't throw away that old MPEM, I'd love to have it. Please PM me or if your an ebay member, please contact me through my ebay ID or you can like to me through
http://ads.auctionads.com/pagead/li...s/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380003435227
Thanks, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides making sure the battery is charged or me getting a new battery. Is there any precautions I can take to make sure my ski is functioning before i put my new mpen in? i really dont want my new one to fry for some cables being messed up or some problems somewhere else in the ski.

Congrats on the membership!

Mike, I don't think you have to worry about frying it. The other one either fried because the fuse was bypassed, which can happen during jump starts, or it had just gottne old. If you like, remove the front plug on the magneto, so that the only power being supplied is from the 12 volts of your battery. Then, give it a try.
Always work on your electricals with the battery disconnected. When everthing is hooked up, then you can connect your battery. If your system is activated right and you have a dead short, your mpems fuse will blow. That's the purpose. To protect it.

It wont blow mike, unless you have a bad gasket on the mag cover and you have sunken your ski recently filling the mag cover with water.

Louis, That is a good suggestion, however most Mpems receive their ground from the plug in the stator so unplugging that will result in no power.

Mike I understand your concern as this is a very strange symptom of electronics. You would expect it to blow when you are jumping the ski but for some reason it does not.

the common scinario I hear is I jumped the ski at the ramp and after I hit the gas leaving the no wake zone (15 or so minutes later) it just quit and the fuse was blown. Everyone thinks oh, It happened when I was out on the lake so it must be something in the ski causing it. It is in fact the jump startin that weakens the circuit and then it gets hotter and hotter like a toaster till it finally goes.

hmmmmmmmmmm....

I think I've only looked that up in the drawing one time and the ground was direct from the mpem to the block.......so, I'll have to check on that. Some models may be different from others.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I hate giving out bum advice.:cheers:

im guessing it may be the age of the mpem because i havent jump started it. The brain should arrive today so im going to keep you posted. but everything you guys have posted so far has been very helpful and i thank you verrry much :cheers:

Major Upset

I just got home from a major upset. I installed the new mpem into my ski and the 5 fuse did the same thing. just blew!

What could be causing my 5 fuse to blow when I try to turn the ski on? This is a ski that has never been jump started so im sure the problem is coming from elsewhere in the ski? what could it be?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds like you may have water in the stator. you are going to have to remove the front cover of the motor and see if water comes out.

If it does not, check the wires coming from the stator to see if it is bad. there is a test in the manual that showes what resistance you should have from each wire.

stator

how hard is it to change the stator because i was with mike and we went to some guy who said the stator is the reason why his 5amp fuse on the mp3m is blowing. :boxing_smiley:

Take the cover off and remove the flywheel to get to the stator. It is described in the service manual for removal and testing.

In the ski.....

In the ski, it's going to be kinda tough. Get a mirror so you can see what your doing. You can lay it in at an angle looking up, it's a big help.

it was the stator. its replaced now my ski runs good but now i have another problem. 3 of my motor mounts are messed up so i am replacing them. my ski should be good after that ::knocks on wood:::ack:

It's a good thing to check them from time to time. They are a easy repair so you should be on the water soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back