Seadoo Sportster melting battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

aratts

I have an older Seadoo Sportster. I am having getting it started; the engine turns and turns but never starts.

I opened up the engine and noticed that the positive (red) post on the battery was getting super hot to the point that it was melting the plastic around it. It is a brand new battery, so I don't think it is the battery itself.

Help!

Melting battery!

I know this thread is a couple months old, I hope you've solved your problem by now, but to explain the reason your battery leads are getting hot and melting the plastic is because of the amount of time your engaging the starter. A battery's power, measured in cranking amps is designed to engage the starter briefly for engine ignition. If the engine doesn't start within 30 seconds, then you should stop and wait for a few minutes before trying again and then for only another 30 seconds. If the engine doesn't start after a couple attempts, then you have a problem that needs to be addressed. Have you pulled your plug wires and checked for spark? What do the plugs look like? Are they oily, white ash, ....let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back