Seadoo 717 by SBT Motor blew 2 weeks out of warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgn

I purchased a 717 motor for my Seadoo sportser 1800 last year in may and it ran great for about 30 hours.
I had to replaced the other motor just last month and it's been on the water for about 7 hours running great with both engines.

The 1st motor replaced started running rough so I shut it down and limped it home on one engine. Tested compression and it was at 90PSI and 150PSI Pulled the head and found some slight scuffing on the cylinder wall on one side. Pulled the Cylinder and have what looks to be a bearing disintegrated and a groove in the piston.

Before I put it in the water this summer I rebuilt both carbs and visually verified both oil pump works but somehow it killed a bearing.
:(

Kinda bummed out since it was only weeks out of it's one year warranty and no more than 30 hours.

That's all.
:(

Attachments

• seadoo blown.jpg
    seadoo blown.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
Always upgrade to 2 yr no fault.
Since you torn into you can't call SBT and see what they could do for you.

Its a long short but try calling!!
Sorry to hear about it.

That rod bearing looks dry, and hot. I don't think it was getting oil. Did you check the nipple in the manifold to see if it's clogged?

That rod bearing looks dry, and hot. I don't think it was getting oil. Did you check the nipple in the manifold to see if it's clogged?

Both left and right nipples in the manifold were not clogged. checked when I rebuilt the carb and again with the motor opened up.

Always upgrade to 2 yr no fault.
Since you torn into you can't call SBT and see what they could do for you.

Its a long short but try calling!!
Sorry to hear about it.

I called and spoke to SBT 1st before I tore into it last week and they told me there is nothing they could do that I should just open it up and see what happened.

Is it just the way the picture came out, or is the rod rusty?

Was the breakin procedure don't correctly?

Break in proceedure was done correctly. I put most of the time on this engine last season 25+ hours before the other orginal motor died at the end of last summer and I waited until May to replace it. Replaced it and then Ran 5-10 hours more on several days after cleaning out all filters, including the baffel filter and inline filters, and rebuilding both the carbs, both engines were sounding and running great. :( rod bearing is gone. The photo of the rod looks like it is. Not rusty but discolored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should that rod have rust like that on a rebuilt motor?

Sorry you already answered that. Dang I can't read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back