Sea-Doo Spark 110hp vs 90hp vs 60hp tunes - PWCMuscle Build Series

JoeZ

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR
We made our initial testing runs with our Spark. We made 10 total runs on each tune, 5 heading East and 5 West. We then throw out the 2 fastest and 2 slowest times, and average the remaining 6. This gets us the most consistent results.

First we installed the 60hp tune. Kinda pokey, but that wasn't going to stay installed long. We measured meaningful benchmarks, 0-15mph, 0-30mph, 0-40mph and finally our distance covered after 5 seconds. Our 0-30 time averaged out to 3.67 seconds. Our distance after 5 seconds was about 162 feet. Once the runs were done, we installed the 90 tune.
Right away, it's a breath of fresh air going from the 60hp to 90hp tunes. Much faster. We saw a pretty solid jump all across the board. The 0-30 times averaged to 2.48 seconds, and after 5 seconds we covered 197 feet. Next up, our 110hp tune.

The responsive throttle on the 110hp tune is very nice. Crisp and really makes the Spark jump. Our testing data shows a solid increase in the 0-15mph times. Resistance increases exponentially as speed increases, so as an example you'd don't get a 50% increase in power to get a 50% increase in performance. However, our testing numbers show the 110hp tune (~19% more power than the 90hp) reduces the 0-15mph times by 21%. I can only explain this by assuming the horsepower increase is much greater down low in the power band, plus the faster throttle response helps rev the engine more quickly.

In all, after 5 seconds, the 110hp Spark gets about 2 boat lengths on the 90hp tune. The throttle is much more responsive, and we can always revert back to stock if needed. You can purchase the tune in our performance store:

Sea Doo Spark RIVA / V-TECH Maptuner X Tune Bundle

[video=youtube_share;nES6OhQDKVU]https://youtu.be/nES6OhQDKVU[/video]

IMG_17082016_144214.jpg

What was the top speed on the 110 hp tune? I know this is not always a good indicator, but just curious what percentage increase you can expect with the 110 hp tune over the stock 90 hp speed-wise.
My 3up tops out at 50 mph on average. Just wondering what I could expect. thanks

It's really difficult to determine top speed, which is why it wasn't explicitly listed. Everything from current to wind will affect it. The top speed wasn't improved much with the tune. Went from about 48-49 to 50-51. But again, if I took those runs on different days that could be different results.

Will the tune void warranty?

Also, I understand that with the tune you extend the RPM band - does it only extend in sport mode, or will touring mode also have the "unlocked" additional RPM's?

Touring mode will reduce the acceleration. The tune can't really be detected from a dealer and we haven't had anyone void their warranty with our tune. It technically does, but haven't had issues yet.

Joe, thanks for the great write up. I think this has been covered before, but wanted to ask.

If we purchase the tuner for a 60hp Spark, do we have the ability to take it to 90hp or 110hp? Or are we choosing 90 or 110hp? And if we do tune it other than stock, is the stock tune in the tuner so that we can revert back to it? (not sure why, other than dealer service)

One last question, when looking at these on other sites, (Riva) they are suggesting a number of other mods to go along with the Tune. Is the ski stable with just the tune, or should we be looking at the intake and exhaust mods suggested?

The reason I ask is most of the folks here are comfortable with a quick electronic only mod for a boost in performance. But have you done any other hardware mods to get these results or purely a tune?

Thanks again for any time spent with these questions. I am in the market for a Spark, and a used entry model plus a tune sounds like a blast for minimal coin.

Back