Sea Doo Challenger 180 SE Oil Change Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergusj60

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have a 2011 or 2013 (cant remember right now) Sea Doo Challenger 180 SE. I used to have a Sugar Sand jet boat that injected oil into the engine. I’m not as familiar with how the oil works on the Sea Doo. I bought it used 3 summers ago and had a tune up done right away. But I got to thinking this summer about the oil. I never really checked it and I hadn’t had the oil changed since I bought the boat so I had it changed this fall when I had it winterized. So this has me thinking that I really dont understand how best to care for the oil in the boat. How often should I be checking it? How often should I change the oil? Is it a horrible thing if I have it changed in the fall when I have it winterized and then it sits all winter? I’d appreciate advise from the gift mechanics out there who have this wisdom so I can best take care of my boat. Thank you! Jefff

Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem. It sounds like your Sugar Sand was a two-stroke engine, which is mechanically quite different than a 4-stroke engine like you have in your Challenger.

My personal opinion is check oil level monthly and change it annually. Regarding the time of year, I support changing it in the fall, so that the oil that sits in it all winter is less acidic and has less water in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back