RXT or GTX IS how do you get the oil filter out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fonzie02

Hey everyone new to the site and I could use some help. I'm searched the site first and couldn't find the answer to my problem. I was to understand oil filters can be removed without lifting the upper deck. Is there something I'm missing how to get the oil filter out? Its real tight around there. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. I just picked up a 2009 RXT Is in real nice condition. Just cleaning her up showing some love before putting in the water. I have the tools filter new seals I'm not a dummy just can't get the oil filter out. I have an extensive set of extensions ujoints Torx 10.

I got that oil filter cover off. What worked for me was standing on the port side and using my left hand with 1/4 drive ratchet with a 8mm socket. I have E 10 Torx but its 5/16 drive which is a bigger ratchet which doesn't work because of the tight space. This oil filter cover lifts off when you loosen it. At the of the bolt is a 13mm you gotta take that off if you replace the o ring at the other end of the bolt. It needs the red Loctite applied after you clean the nut and bolt good. If you don't apply the red Loctite oil cap won't set properly. I tried the blue Loctite but it wouldn't work.

...It needs the red Loctite applied after you clean the nut and bolt good. If you don't apply the red Loctite oil cap won't set properly. I tried the blue Loctite but it wouldn't work.

In the 10+ yrs I've been working on and maintaining my RXT...I've never used Loc-tite....of any color....on my oil filter.

Never leaked....even when leaving out the thin O-ring.

no on the loc-tite! especially red = disaster! i didn't see anywhere in the manual to use loc-tite on the filter cover bolt.
use of a long 3/8 extension and ratchet worked for me and just torque it to specs with a inch pound torque wrench.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 2009 models and up the oil filter bolt also has the 13 mm nut and a stainless 3 inch long tube that is used to lift the oil filter cap when the oil filter bolt is loosened. If you don't Locite the 13mm nut it will move and when you tightnen the filter and the cap won't set properly. I'm definitely not using Loctite on the oil filter bolt. I wish I knew had to add pictures to these posts it would be a lot easier to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back