RXP injectors clogged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stosh4wd

Hi, I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone knows whats wronge with my 2004 rxp after sitting over the winter. Idles ok, throtling up seams to kick from one cylinder to two and finally to three only when it warms up.

Fuel Injectors

The most common problem the 4TEC engine has is the spark plugs. Especially after they've been sitting for awhile. The 4TEC engine has proven to be a very reliable powerplant (and the electronics that support it) and I've learned never to expect a complicated problem. I would replace the 3 spark plugs ( NGK DCPR8E ) and see how it runs. I think you'll be surprised. DON"T start putting additives in the fuel tank. If your problem is more complicated than the plugs your info gauge will probably be trying to tell you something(blinking warning lite, etc.) Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck, DAWG

:agree: Dawg is correct, the 4-tec engines are really simple engines when it comes to running. 9 out of 10 times it is just the spark plugs that need to be changed.

Karl

The plugs are under the plastic cover over the top of the engine. Remove the oil dip stick and it pulls right off.

Karl

I found the plugs under some strange looking plug wires. They look good but I'll change them anyway. Can you tell me how to change the oil and filter and where to grease the jet pump?

Here are the part numbers you need to change the oil and filter in a 4-tec engine.

(3) "O" rings
1)420320920-$7.25
2)420850500-$8.99
3)420950860-$2.20

Oil filter /I use a K&N off their website.
1)KN556-$12.95

Oil 10w40 Mineral Oil from seadoo#219700346-$6.50 a qt.
Need 3 L or 2.7 us quarts with filter for oil change

Oil extractor from West Marine.Company Tempo, Part# 170200 Model# OB5 Retails about $50.00.
Change the oil when it is warm. Rev the engine to 4,000 rpm for 10 sec. and shut off at this rpm. This moves all the oil from the pto housing to the oil tank for maxium draining. Remove the oil filler cap and the dipstick. Incert the extractor tube in the dipstick 18.7 inches from the top of the dipstick pipe. Wrap tape around the tube to be sure it is in that deep. Next, extract the oil from the dipstick. When no more oil is extracted, pull the tube out of the dipstick hole and crake the engine(do not start) while the engine is in drown mode(fullly depress the throttle lever and HOLD, than crank the engine).
Crank the engine for 10 seconds, Extract oil again, repeat crank extract 2-3 more times.
Keep track of how much oil you extract and add what you removed.

You will need a E-10 star socket or a 8mm(6pt) socket to remove the oil filter cap. There are 3 "O" rings in the filter cap area if they are damaged change them. Check level, and go have fun. I hope this info helps.

Karl

thank you

could you tell me what the steps are to remove the oil filter after taking out the star bolt? I don't know if the top pulls off unscrews or I need to pry itoff.
I have to bring back the spark plugs, they gave me the exact plug( numbers & letters matched) as I had but mine don't have that nut on them. The ones they gave me do and they don't screw on and off.

yes you carefully pry the oil filter lid off trying not to damage the o ring that is present but 3-5 times I do so I have an new o ring standing by

Thanks for the info on the spark plugs. I have two 4tec that had the same problem. Changed the plugs and they ran like new. Don't understand why the plugs fail from just sitting. Plugs look great.

That "nut" on the top of the plugs will twist off. Use a pair of plyers and it will twist right off. Here is info on replacing you plugs;

4-tec plugs NGK brand, DCPR8E Gap/ 0.7-0.8 MM or .028-.031in.
Chances are it just fouled a plug. To replace the plugs remove the Oil dipstick, remove the plastic cover over the engine, replace the dip stick. Unplug the wire from the spark plug coil ( it's part of the spark plug cap) wiggle and pull the cap/coil out of the spark hole. Be careful not to break it. Loosen the spark plug, insert the cap/coil in to grab the plug and remove it. Gap the new plug, remove the screw top on the top of the plug, insert it in the cap/coil push it in the plug hole. Use a socket to tighten it. Snug it up go about 1/4 turn, loosen and snug it up(this compress the seal ring on the bottom of the new spark plug). Put some grease on the coil cap where it meets the cylinder and insert on the plug. Connect the coil wire. Do one spark plug at a time. Replace the plastic cover. This should solve your problem.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back