Rotary valve problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar40

Just purchased a 94 xp and one of the carbs was plugged, I pulled the carbs and thoroughly cleaned reinstalled and started up, it seemed to be getting fuel to both carbs. I'm thinking lets go to the lake and check it out. So I put all plates and covers back on, take it to lake, and it won't start. In fact now it's making a funny noise when it turns over. I bring it home and find out a screw had drooped into the intake and got hung up on the rotary valve, (it's toast) :banghead:. My question is the valve housing got scored, does that make a difference? What degree of valve do I need, and how do I time it once I get everything installed? Thanks

657X engine

Remove the four bolts on rotary cover and pull away alittle, use a butter knife between the cover and valve to hold the valve against the engine as you pull the cover the rest of the way off. Then put a Zip tie on the splines to hold it in place,
or you'll be retiming it later. With *plugs out, turn the PTO slowly as you hold a pencil or other long object in the Mag cylinder until it is at top (TDC). The valve blade should be about 1/2" below the mag opening. Scribe a line on the metal case and the blades edge, you will use this mark
so you get the new valve in the same precise position when you slide it on the splines. You flip the valve if it is a 1/2 tooth off to get it in this presice position. Alternative is READ YOUR SHOP MANUAL for this timing proceedure.
Cover back on, ect. ANS: it won't unless it has a burr. A groove will just hold oil. ANS: 159* http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/seadooforums/Seadoo_oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=13&A=20&B=4

Last edited by a moderator:
this exact same thing happened to me. The rotary valve has a mark in it from the bolt that is about 1/4 of a inch big on one of the sides. We grinded it to make sure it wouldnt get hung up on anything. Now its not starting even when we put a bit of gas down the carbs. Its getting ignition though. Any advice??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back