Rod knock or exhaust leak? Check out video

I haven't got that far to to find tune the carb. It was just rebuilt. I set everything to spec and set the idle to ear for now.

All seadoo's sound like they have a rod knock at idle, it is due to the design of the pump. As long as it goes away when you come off idle you are fine.

All seadoo's sound like they have a rod knock at idle, it is due to the design of the pump. As long as it goes away when you come off idle you are fine.
The thing that got me was that I didn't hear it without the exhaust pipe installed. In fact, it seemed to run much smoother without the pipe.

Something else that stood out was the misfiring at low rpm. Once it had a load (increased rpm), it went away.
I replaced the plugs, even went a step hotter (7's) but there was no difference.

I'll do a little more troubleshooting to see if it's a failing coil, wire, or carb issue.

Thanks for your feedback

How did you ever run the ski without the pipe? With it off you wouldn't hear a thing...

Do not change the heat range of the plugs, won't help anything.

The thing that got me was that I didn't hear it without the exhaust pipe installed. In fact, it seemed to run much smoother without the pipe.

Something else that stood out was the misfiring at low rpm. Once it had a load (increased rpm), it went away.
I replaced the plugs, even went a step hotter (7's) but there was no difference.

I'll do a little more troubleshooting to see if it's a failing coil, wire, or carb issue.

Thanks for your feedback
Im sure you probably have your idel too low. What does the gauge say when idling out of the water.

Im sure you probably have your idel too low. What does the gauge say when idling out of the water.
Check out the video(s) on my first post. You can hear it appear as the rpm increases.

I'll have it in the water tomorrow for the first time. I just purchased the ski and immediately dove into the carbs and replacing all tempo fuel lines.

How did you ever run the ski without the pipe? With it off you wouldn't hear a thing...

Do not change the heat range of the plugs, won't help anything
If you listen between the two videos, the noise is very distinctive. It sounds like loose rocker arms on a 4 cycle engine.

I figured it out...
The noise was coming from the gasket between the manifold and the pipe. Once I replaced the gasket, the engine seemed to run normal.

I'll be taking it to the lake for the first time tomorrow evening.

I figured it out...

The noise was coming from the gasket between the manifold and the pipe. Once I replaced the gasket, the engine seemed to run normal.

I'll be taking it to the lake for the first time tomorrow evening.

Back