Ring carrier / carbon seal was the cavitation problem for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

swill777

If u guys remember, my starboard pump is the stock all plastic one. I broke a vein on it, the wear ring is so-so, and I re-worked the impeller myself with my dremel. Well, I was convinced the broken vein, or something else was causing my major cavitation problem on that side.
The foam ring was replaced when I put the pump back on, and I never checked the pump support seal, or the ride shoe seal, so I thought these could be causing the cavitation too. Well, on my starboard side shaft, the ring carrier was kinda seized up on the driveshaft, and not centered and true. It wasn't making a good connection with the worn carbon ring at all. So it took a while, but I free'd it and now it slide on the shaft like its supposed to. I also twisted the boot so it aligned the carbon ring a little better, and also loosened the back clamp on the boot, then put more pressure toward the ring carrier / carbon ring seal, then re-tightened clamp. No doubt in the future I need a new carbon seal, but, WOW.. the freaking boat runs amazing now. ZERO cavitation on that side! So I guess my pump support seal and ride show seal are ok! What a freaking difference. Just throwing this out there in case someone else thinks that seal isn't a big deal, IT IS. It was causing MAJOR cavitation in my case, and I didn't even get that much water in the bilge.. from what I could tell, but then again there is the auto bilge pump.

sucking air?...

Sucking air from within the engine compartment, through the shaft and into the impeller is the number one cause of major cavitation.

You also have a good eye for observation. The edges of the impeller and stator vanes must remain very smooth. Any knocks to the edges can create the vortex that sucks in air from outside.

The stator, stationary vanes, are designed to counter the rotational forces of the impellers discharge, making for a smoother and straight thrust. Without it, the torque would pull on the boat. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back