rfi chaging problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cammy b

ok people any ideas, 99 gtx rfi 12v low flashing on display i have replaced the magneto replaced regulator rectifier replaced wiring and fuses inside rectifier housing got a reading of 12.75v and thought the job was done at last took the ski in the water and after about 5mins 12v low up again and no charge going to the battery i,m now at a loss as to what it could be, any help would be great.

What about the battery?
If you are using a cheap, WalMart type battery, you could still have a battery issue. We use only the Yuasa YB16CL-B for all RFI's. Your electronics require a great amount of current to run. Measure you battery starting voltage and, while monitoring the voltage, start the ski. You should not get more than 1 to 1 1/2 volt drop while starting. When it is running, at about 3000 RPM, you should be charging at about 13 to 13.5 volts. A bad battery will read 12 to 12.5 volts with no load and drop dead under a load. Also, remember to always change your spark plugs when you have had a charging system problem on an RFI. Low voltage will cause the coils not to fire hot enough and foul plugs. Just FYI on the plugs.

rfi charging problems

Thanks for the info about the plugs i didnt know that and yes it does happen so thats some great info,as far as the battery goes i could try another one but have already tried 2. The problem seems to be that there is no charge going to the battery it can run fine for about an hour once given a full charge then goes onto safe mode which means charging system dropped below 8v. Any more info would be greatly recieved.

Multi-meter

Have you used a multi-volt meter and check to see if your getting a charge when the motor is running. Like Don said, you should be getting about 13.5 vdc........It very well could be a problem in the charging system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back