Replacing stock 230SE speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmthunder

I am looking at replacing the stock Jensen coxial and component speakers on my 230SE. I have been looking at the Kicker KM620.2 components to replace with found a good deal on them. Will the tweeters be a direct replacement for the current jensen component tweeters in the rear coaming boxes? If so I am going to get 2 sets of the KM620.2"s and mount them in the stock locations with the front tweeters mounted in the front coaming boxes. Powered by an amp most likely. Then maybe look to find a kicker sub with the same grill to complete the system. I know the KM620.s" are new old stock as they are like 2009 model year speakers but are they a good set up or should I stay away and go with the new style KM6250.2's?? open to all thoughts. Thanks in advance!!

I cant speak for the fit in your boat but i do have the Kicker KM620's (non component series) and they sound pretty good for the price. Ive got them hooked to an alpine amp running 75 watts to each. I also have a pair of 10" kicker subs. All together it sounds pretty good and was very reasonable on price. I also have a set of the 6250 components waiting to be added at smoe point. In my option, they are a good speaker for a good price.

Thanks for the input on the KM620's. There is what appears to be a good deal on brand new speakers with warranty from an authorized online kicker dealer on ebay. That is what got me thinking......

Aren't the kickers a 6" speaker tho? You'll need to get a large 6.5" or bigger in these boats. The factory holes are a lot larger than you think. You need to pull one out and measure the hole and then check manufacturers websites for dimensions. As a rule of thumb, bigger is better in a boat. There's no cabin to bounce sound around in so you'll need to produce as much sound as possible. Good luck either way.

I am not sure the hole sizes.... From Jensen's manual it looks like 5-3/8" cutout is required. The KM speakers are actually a 6.5 or 6-3/4"(can't remember) but only require a 5-1/8" cutout. I will have to look into this next time I am home unless someone on here knows for sure the sizes. I think that having component speakers in the front would make the sound better in the front of the boat. Maybe I am wrong. I would think that anything would sound better than the factory Jensen speakers. I was also a little disappointed to find out that the stereo does not accept the iphone 4s or iPod touches on the direct connect iphone/ipod cable. Something about a change in the pin connections. I am going to try to see if it will connect and play the audio. Maybe it just won't allow you to control the device from the stereo like it would if you had an older iphone or ipod. Connecting through the ear phone jack really kills the audio.

What year is your boat? I have a 2012 and had to buy a cable from Jensen to play the iPhone 4s that I have. Look at my pics in my stereo upgrade thread and you'll see the cable.

Mine is a 2011 so I have the previous version of the head unit that came in the 2012's. It has the direct connect for the iphone and if I purchased the cable like yours it should work but the stereo manual says it only works (controls the phone from the head unit)with iphones prior to the 4s. I called Jensen tech line and the guy thought it may play the audio but not control the phone from the head unit(which I don't care about) but he said " I am not 100% sure because it doesn't call out the 4S and newer Ipod's in the manual". Guess I will just have to give it a shot and see. Thanks for the hole size. Our boats should have the same speakers in the cockpit. I will look at your thread not sure how I missed it... Did you replace the tweeters in the rear coaming boxes too?

Cycleguy I was reading your post on the stereo install then it hit me you had a 2012 180 and now the 230!!! Sweet move. What did you put in for speakers on your 230? Did you need to buy the adapter rings like you did on your 180? I was also looking at using coax in the front for the easy of install and not having to cut holes but then I start thinking that using components might improve the sound and it would be easy to place the tweeters in the coaming boxes up front so it would look just like the rear set up. Thanks for the help with this! I am also leaning towards the Kicker ZXM700.5 amp and add a sub. Next mission though is to look at the amp like you had in your 180 build.

I have a thread for my 230 build too. I used the 7.7" JL speakers so I didn't need to use spacers like in the 180. I also used the same 5 channel amp in both boats. I didn't use separate tweeters in the front because the speakers are up high so I didn't need to. In the back, they're done lower which is why you use components there. The amp you're going to use is good.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?54911-230-wake-stereo-upgrade&p=282478#post282478

Thanks for the link I don't know why I never saw that during my extensive searches. I have been looking into the JL speakers this afternoon. I may go with the same ones you have and add one of their 10" free air marine subs pushed by the kicker 700.5. Thank you for the info!!! Boat is in the garage for the winter now so I will pick away at it so it is ready for Summer 2013!! Envy you guys in the south at times.. but times to break out the sled another BRP product!

I ran a JL free air sub in my 180 and it was pretty good. The only reason i didn't on this one, was that i had plenty of room to mount a box so I did. I am a huge JL fan, but any good 7"+ speaker will be great, and anything will be better than the crap that's in there now. Good luck and post up some pics of the install.

Now the more I look into it I am caught between the Polk MM651UM/MM6501UM speakers and MM1040UM sub set up or the JL M770-CCS-SG-TB/M770-CCX-SG-TB speakers with the M10IB5-SG-TB sub. The Polk will be a little less expensive but will they fit in the existing holes?? I know both are great brands and look to be truly built for the marine environment. What are the thoughts on Polk????

The polk MM are good, but I'd just look at combining RMS speaker watts with the RMS rating of the amp you're using. My amp puts out a solid 100RMS per channel, so i got speakers that'll handle 100RMS with no problems. Plus the bigger the size, the more sound you'll get. Boats are open and therefore need more size, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back