Replaced Cylinder, overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

KendallG

I recently got a 1993 GTX to add to my fleet, had a thrown rod, damaged the crankcase and one of the Cylinder jugs. I picked up a used cylinder off of a '92 587 XP, the casting # was the same as the '93 GTX and when I looked online, part # was identical on the two units.
I had the Cylinders bored and crankshaft replaced, built the engine and when I took it to the water to test, it fired up and was doing fine until...beeeeeeep...Overheating.
I did all the normal checks for flow, replaced the lines, and even tested temp when overheating (126 degrees when scanning head & cylinders). I when tearing top end back down to look for blockages, I found the the 2 holes in the water channel on the cylinders did not match when checking between the 2 cylinders. the only way I could measure was to stick the tail end of drill bit thru until i found one that was snug. I had to increase 2 sizes to get a fit on the replacement cylinder. I then measured the width of the oblong channel on the jug and found the original is 27.5 mm wide, and the replacement is 28.25 mm wide. do I have the wrong Jug? My thoughts are that I'm getting a "path of least resistance" outcome and starving the original cylinder of water flow.
Any feedback on why these 2 cylinders don't match. everything else is identical.

Overheating?

They can use the same casting, thus the same number, but machine them differently. I would suspect that one of the cylinders wasn't the original.

In any case, you said the water temperature was 126 degrees? That's almost the outside air temperature where I live. I would suspect a bad sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back