removing fuel selector switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

njcowboy

Replacing fuel line question.

I repaired my fuel tank sending unit today and when I removed the lines, I was not impressed at all with them. Never did like Tempo(rary) fuel tanks or lines

Has anyone ever put a fuel primer bulb inline to help prime the fuel system before starting?

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be done and I have done it in the past. Just make sure it is not being put in as a bandaid for something else wrong. :)

Hard starts are caused by many factors that a fuel bulb will cover up only to become bigger problems later.

It can be done and I have done it in the past. Just make sure it is not being put in as a bandaid for something else wrong. :)

Hard starts are caused by many factors that a fuel bulb will cover up only to become bigger problems later.

Thanks for the come back.
All of the fuel fittings are very lose, so I am sure I am losing pressure in them.

It takes 20-30 seconds to crank the engine before it starts. Then it is fine for the day.

Coming from an outboard side makes me wonder why there is no primer bulb?

I have been boating for 25 years, been running a boat by myself since I was 7 (now 32)

The seadoo is a toy to me, but I want it to be right.

Once I replace the fuel lines and tighten the connections, I will see if it is still hard to start.

What other problems would make it hard to start?

Lastly,
When I took the fuel switch out of the ski, the plastic nut broke in half. Does anyone have a part number for this?

Thanks for the come back.
All of the fuel fittings are very lose, so I am sure I am losing pressure in them.

It takes 20-30 seconds to crank the engine before it starts. Then it is fine for the day.

Coming from an outboard side makes me wonder why there is no primer bulb?

I have been boating for 25 years, been running a boat by myself since I was 7 (now 32)

The seadoo is a toy to me, but I want it to be right.

Once I replace the fuel lines and tighten the connections, I will see if it is still hard to start.

What other problems would make it hard to start?

Lastly,
When I took the fuel switch out of the ski, the plastic nut broke in half. Does anyone have a part number for this?

mine takes about 15 seconds to start while using the choke, yes im a outboard guy too i have tons of them, its a carbed motor so its gonna take a little bit for it to get fuel, i just think a primer bulb would be a pain because you would have to pull the seat to get to it before you start it ever time

I owned a 1986 Kawasaki TS and it had a bulb primer from the factory. Yes I pulled the seat before it's first start up of the day. But doesent everybody, to check the engine before the day's fun? I even do it on my brend new 200 speedster...hmmm maybe that's why I NEVER get stranded or have a breakdown.

Karl

that's not the reason!....

Looking under the hood of your speedster is not the reason you've never had a break down............It's Brand New!...........It sure as hell better not leave you stranded. :ack:

Uh...I own a SPEEDSTER...not a Sportster...I always check under the hood of everything I own. I have never had a breakdown, ever due to lack of maintenance...ever! Abuse, well maybe ...but that's the fun of it.

Karl

Hood....

I'm afraid to open my hood. Either something might jump out on me or I might see a leak or something I think needs tinkering with, then the next thing you know, I'm tearing half the engine apart...:ack:

Got done replacing the fuel lines. Not real difficult at all. A little tricky around the dual carbs, but that was it.

The original lines (Tempo) are a disgrace. How they even pass for fuel lines is amazing.

Put in 15' of marine grade 1/4" lines from NAPA.

I believe my hard start was probably related to the lines being loose and the engine loosing prime.

The lonly line I did not replace (to much of a PIA) was the vent line, but since this should not see any fuel (normally) it should not affect the carbs.

Vent line....

Believe it or not, that is one of the most important of the fuel lines. If the tank can't vent as your using fuel, you'll create a vapor lock in the carbs and the engine will die.
Give it a try, but if the problem re-occurs, then you'll need to check that vent line. And your right, loose carb lines will cause air to seep in and you'll lose prime. I just changed all my clamps this past winter season........

Thanks.
The vent line is open and clear so I think it is in good shape.

I stayed with Zip ties instead of the O Clamps. Most outboards use Heavy duty zip ties for fuel lines so it can't be that bad.

Alot easier to deal with on the carbs when you have to rebuild them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back