Reassembly of bottom end ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone and thanks for all the help so far, ok I am reassembing the bottom end of a 720 motor (97 GTI) I read in the manual to apply loctite 515 to mating surfaces, as to the bolts there is three sizes, two larger ones, that I guess need to be torque to 30 LBF and all others to 17 LBF, but do I apply loctite 515 to all the bolts ? I put synthetic grease under head of bolt on all of them also ? Just want to make sure I don't miss anything or if there is a trick to this I don't know

Thanks

Do you have a manual? there are torque specs and torque sequences with diagrams in the manual. I snug all my bolts hand tight, then tighten to half of what the value should be (ex final torque 30, so I do 15, then up to 30)

Racerxx convinced me that the loctite product is not as good as threebond 1211. It is more expensive, but well worth it.

As for loctite on the bolts, I used the blue, that's all I had. I figure something is better than nothing. Again, it will tell you in the manual http://www.seadoomanuals DOT net/

And make sure those gasket surfaces are completly flat, and have no dirt or grease on them. You don't want a leak!

The manual will tell you to use synthetic grease on the bolt threads, stainless bolt into cast iron sleeve/alum cylinder, disimilar metals are prone to corrosion so synthetic grease, then use blue loctite under the bolt head since there's grease on the threads. This is the reason to have a FACTORY service manual. If an owner is willing to pay for the info to make the product with "ROTAX" cast on it last longer and more reliable you can bet the info will make it as good as it can be. Just an opinion based on logic. The manual will also show 785 exhaust bolts getting syn grease on all but one bolt that gets 518.... guess which bolt and why..... {;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back