Rave valves have brown sludge on them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma77y

Just want to say this forum is awesome, I was a member years ago with my 97XP, i meet some great people :and learnt some great stuff!

I have just returned from a lash out in the surf on my 2000 XP (which has never has missed a beat & I keep the beast so clean) anyway on my way back to boat ramp it lost acceleration down to crawling speed.
I flushed engine and took of Rave valves to find they where covered in brown sticky oily stuff!
I contacted my local seadoo dealer who advised me they don't work on 2 strokes, (awesome way to sell a new ski)
I cleaned valves and sprayed some seadoo lube in cylinder and turned engine over with spark plugs out. I do have aftermarket carbies on my machine and thought maybe I was sucking in water. I took of exhaust and re-sealed every gasket!
I took ski for test run on local lake, no water coming in and is running great, but after flushing engine I took of rave valves to find more brown sticky icky.
One more thing was has also changed I have just been sold a new seadoo 2 stroke oil XPS, the first time i used it i had troubles, don't know if its just coincidence.
Please throw some options my way!
I didn't want to take of head because it has never been off before but I am out ideas!:o

The RAVE's will get coated in black goo. They sit in the exhaust... so all the carbon, and unburnt oil coats them. They are a yearly maintenance point. (To clean them)

With that said... if they stick closed... they won't cause the engine to bog as bad as you described. At the worst... you will loose that mid RPM punch, and maybe a few hundred RPM off the top.

What you are describing is an overheat condition. Is your buzzer working correctly?

Were you sold XPS oil or XPS-II. Your ski should be using XPS-II the synthetic oil, the standard XPS is just plain mineral oil. I don't think it would cause the problem your seeing now though.

Were you using the XPS-II oil before or were you using a different brand all together.

If you were using a different brand and "mixed" the oils I guess there could be the possibility of incompatibility between the two.

The brown sticky oily stuff, does it look like a milkshake or is it black?

This would be extreme, but more for the coloring.

stacks_image_791_1.jpg

The RAVE's will get coated in black goo. They sit in the exhaust... so all the carbon, and unburnt oil coats them. They are a yearly maintenance point. (To clean them)

With that said... if they stick closed... they won't cause the engine to bog as bad as you described. At the worst... you will loose that mid RPM punch, and maybe a few hundred RPM off the top.

What you are describing is an overheat condition. Is your buzzer working correctly?

Hi Doc,
Thanks for reply,

I do service my raves 1-3 times a year I like everything shiny and clean,
The problem isn't the usual black coating, it brown sludge.

No overheating issues I do believe!

Matty

Hi Racer,

Thanks for reply,

I used to use the XPS II ill double check what this new oil is, they called it a summer blend. It's still Seadoo!

The brown sludge is brown I'm afraid, not the usual black oil I'm used to seeing!

Not sure where to go from here!

Matty

Is it rare for both cylinders to be effected at the same time, I'll pull the head off tonight (my beautiful untouched paint, had to happen some time I guess).

If you mix oils, your going to have a bad day...

"Doesn't work on 2-strokes"

Shame your not in PA in the USA... I could have that whole engine out in under 2 hours for you :)

If you mix oils, your going to have a bad day...

"Doesn't work on 2-strokes"

Shame your not in PA in the USA... I could have that whole engine out in under 2 hours for you :)

I wish I had friends that had the skills, I'm not fast but I'll always give it a go!

There are a few tips / tricks to pulling a 951. Let us know if you need them BEFORE you start randomly un bolting things.

I guess it would be best to eliminate the oil being the issue first, I'll see if I can empty the container out and put some of the new oil in (any tips on getting the oil out without making a mess would be great):thumbsup:

Ill report back after a test run on weekend and see if we still have a brown sludge issue!
If I find sludge I would love some of those tips sabrtooth

I should start my own site for all my tips, I keep wanting to make a video, but haven't found a ski worthy of a new engine yet...

The tips depend on the model. Your GSX 951 removal would go a little different... and the pipe on a GSX, my god is that a pain...

I should start my own site for all my tips, I keep wanting to make a video, but haven't found a ski worthy of a new engine yet...
The tips depend on the model. Your GSX 951 removal would go a little different... and the pipe on a GSX, my god is that a pain...

Ahhh Gee, thanks :( .....I just bought a 99 GSX Limited. :) :)

I just had the manual printed off at Office Max with a curly Q binder...came out real nice. & also the Operators guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back