Radio Controlled stuff. Post a pic

Dr Honda

Hi Guys,

Well... winter is in full force here in PA, and I'm sure most of you guys are not doing much. I figure I would start a thread on R/C Junk. So... if you play with R/C toys... post up a pic or 2, and let us know what you have !!!

I've done every thing in R/C, other that Turbine power, so this fall... I started working on my first Jet. I still have a lot to do on it, and I have to get my Turbine waiver to fly it... but I figure I would post a pic, and a short vid of the engine running.

148.jpg

VID

[youtube]PZIPFc1X2TE[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
That engine is an AMT AT-180, with all the current upgrades from the factory. It will produce 18 to 20 Lbs of thrust while drinking 8.2 Oz/min of fuel. (Kero, Jet A, or JP4) The finished model should be around 12 Lbs dry, and 15 Lbs wet. So... even on take off, it is better than 1:1.

The top speed should be somewhere around 150 mph, but I don't know how long the air frame will take that speed. I will probably fly around on half power most of the time, and hold the speed to under 100 mph.

Wow thats awesome. I have always wanted an RC plane. Any tips on a good project to start with?

.... Any tips on a good project to start with?

That's up to you, and how much you would like to spend... but....

Historically, a .40 sized, nitro powered (glow engines) trainer is what you would want to get into the hobby with. The size is good, and stable, but it still small enough to not break the bank. ($$$) But now, the electric powered models are very good.

My suggestion would be to find a local club, and go talk to the guys. They may have some used equipment for sale. (cheap)

Just an FYI... I don't even mess with glow anymore. I fly small electric "park flyer" models, and larger gas (weed eater engines) models. Glow fuel has gotten expensive, and it is very messy. It has about 20% oil, and most of that will come out of the exhaust of the engine, and your model will be dripping with oil at the end of the day.

If you have any specific questions, I will be more than happy to give you info. I've been playing with R/C planes since I was 8 years old... and now I'm about to turn 40.

I use to have a hydro boat that used a glow plug and the fuel. It was always a big mess and problems. That was years ago though. I have a small electric helicopter that is tons of fun. I will look into an electric plane maybe. Thanks!!

I go to the Cleveland Air Show everyyear. Too cool to watch the radio control guys play with thier toys.

Back