Radio and speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWLogsdon

I have a 98 challenger and was wondering if I need to just change my speakers or radio or both for a little better sound. I dont need to add amps and more speakers. I just want it a little better than the stock that it came with.

and any suggestions on what to buy. Does it have to be a Marine Radio????

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly suggest you buy both new marine head unit and new marine speakers from a reputable company. you can get a decent head unit and 4 speakers for under $250 shipped on ebay. Marine stuff is made to handle the sun and moisture.

For decent speakers at a good price go with Polk or Kicker marine stuff. Head units, Clarion or Sony or any other decent brand.

will a new unit and speakers make it sound better than the 1998 radio and speakers that are in there now.... or will i need an amp???

It will be much much better. You still wont hear it much at WOt though. But it is a good start. Get a head unit that leaves room for expansion. Preferably one with RCA amp outputs. I have the Clarion M475 and love it. It has 3 sets of amp outputs, and IPOD connection and can do satellite. You can find it reurbished for like 150. It also comes with a remore and is capable of adding a wired remote. There are other good units out there, just my opinion.

I can only find it for $199. But if you say it's good I'll get it I dont know what else to get. I dont need satillite because I already got it on my HTC phone that I can hook up to the radio Just cant decide to do it now or wait for winter. I am so excited about working on my boat all winter with upgrades that I kinda want to wait and do it all winter so it seems like a new boat next spring

+1 to replacing stock speakers and head unit per RF with aftermarket, marine grade stuff, including wiring and connections.

It was shocking how poor the stock speakers were in an '04 S200, they looked like paper composite cones. I wouldn't give them away or even put them in the shop, they went to the trash.

Just splurged on marine grade 6.5" Infinities and an Alpine head unit, no added amp or sub, and it sounds tremendous for all on-board occupants. Get a head unit with either hard wired Ipod or SAT connection as CD's just skip around underway. Helmsman remote is a requisite.

IMO, the only reasons to ad an amp and sub is if you want to run sound at WOT, or for a wakeboarder, or if you want to entertain the entire harbor.

Here ya go. $120 with free shipping. It was a 2008 model, so it is harder to find now. I bought it for $120 last year.

There are other brands too. I am not saying you have to buy it, but I have had great luck with it and it was very cheap for the amount of features it has.

http://www.hifiaudioonline.com/inc/sdetail/5397

You can never go wrong with Alpine, but you will pay a lot more.

Something else...I like to get extended warranties for electronics. Square trade has awesome warranties. You can add a 2 year warranty to this radio for 18 bucks. I got a coupon code for that if ya need it.

OK so I am bored with time to kill at the firehouse..lol.... I found the newest version from clarion. The M309, basically has the same features but is the newest version. Looks like a sweet radio.

CD-DA/CD-R/RW Ready
MP3, WMA and iTunes® AAC Compatible with ID3-TAG Display
USB Digital Media Streaming Capability
18 FM/ 6 AM Presets
USB Audio for iPod (Rear)
Front 3.5mm & Rear Aux Inputs with Level Control
BBE MP for Compressed Audio Sound Improvement
13 x 10 2-Line High Visibility LCD
SAT Ready
6ch RCA Output
50W x 4 Built-in Amplifier
Built-in IR Eye
Bluetooth® Interface Ready (Optional BLT370)
Meets ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure)
Meets ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure)
HumiSeal Coated PCB
Sealed Stainless Steel Chassis
Detachable Control Panel and Case
Fixed Audio Output
New Wired Remote Control (Optional MW1/2) Ready
Sirius SSP Direct Connection
XM Satellite Radio Ready
Wireless Remote Included

Looks like you can find it refurbed for 170 with free shipping.

Ok...How many speakers do you currently have? For a decent setup without and amp or subs, I would go with Polk DB651 or Kicker KM620 speakers. Both are 6.5 speakers and marine rated. they both run right at $60 to 70 a pair. So for under $250 shipped you can get 2 sets and the M475 I posted before.

Then down the road, you can add other stuff like an amp, subs or wired remote. This would give you a good basis to start.

I think the interior layout of the challenger is close to my speedster, also a 98. You can put the front speakers where mine are and the rear ones can go up by the grab handles where my subs are. If you wanna upgrade later, you can use the existing holes to open up for the subs. The speaker hole is very easy to cut. Use a 5" hole saw with a corded drill and you are done in 2 minutes.

45.jpg

Ok...How many speakers do you currently have? For a decent setup without and amp or subs, I would go with Polk DB651 or Kicker KM620 speakers. Both are 6.5 speakers and marine rated. they both run right at $60 to 70 a pair. So for under $250 shipped you can get 2 sets and the M475 I posted before.

Then down the road, you can add other stuff like an amp, subs or wired remote. This would give you a good basis to start.

Where do you find the DB651's for $60-$70/pair? I'm looking to add a front pair this winter and I haven't found a price nearly that low.

I know why I couldn't find find them that cheaply. I have been looking for the MM651 marine-grade speakers. The best price I've seen on those is about $105. Since these are going up in the bow, I think I'm going to go with the MMs. I was even considering the UM (Ultra Marine) versions, but after the first couple of outings, I haven't had issue with water coming over the bow.

Alright.... I was at our local Car radio Store, And the owner was telling me that It's a great option to get the Marine grade Radio but I don’t have to.... this is the guy that does all their commercials. I didn’t want to believe him, but then one of the installers came over asking me about my boat because he has a 22 footer that he has all decked out and he doesn’t have a marine radio on his boat. He also said you problably want to get a new radio in 2 years anyways????

So... What do you think... Do you need a marine radio if you just trailer your boat???????

Also... My radio is in my glove box

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright.... I was at our local Car radio Store, And the owner was telling me that It's a great option to get the Marine grade Radio but I don’t have to.... this is the guy that does all their commercials. I didn’t want to believe him, but then one of the installers came over asking me about my boat because he has a 22 footer that he has all decked out and he doesn’t have a marine radio on his boat. He also said you problably want to get a new radio in 2 years anyways????

So... What do you think... Do you need a marine radio if you just trailer your boat???????

Also... My radio is in my glove box

I highly suggest you buy all marine rated stuff. You will get both opinions on here, but I have reasons I say go with marine stuff. Even if your radio is in the glove box. You are still out in the elements. It could rain, people always have wet hands when they mess with the radio. Moisture WILL find its way in. So why not do what you can to make sure it is protected.

The marine rated stuff has circuitry in it that is coated and anti corrosive. If you use a standard radio and buy it new. It will come with a 1 year warranty. Lets say you install it and 4 months later it quits on you. You take it out and ship it back for warranty work. they will open it up and say it has been exposed to water and your warranty is no good. Now you do the same thing with a marine radio and they fix it and ship it back to you.

Why would you choose not to? I see no reason. If price is the problem, let me know. There are a lot of cheap marine rated units out there. The ones I listed before are very good and great priced. There are also cheaper alternatives. The Pyle PLMR19 is a bargain at like $60. it is marine rated has 2 amp outputs, SD and USB capability and comes with a remote.

Here are the standard features Clarion puts in all of their marine rated receivers to protect against the elements.

Meets ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure)
Meets ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure)
HumiSeal Coated PCB
Sealed Stainless Steel Chassis

I would buy all marine stuff just because the boat sits outside during the summer so moisture could build up under the cover when it rains and gets humid, etc

I'm currently looking for a head unit that has a USB input (CD optional) from a decent brand, and two 6.5's to get me started. I'm dumping money into rebuilding an engine, so I'd like to keep the audio cheap... but still get something good that would give me room to expand the next year

I need a radio also and Price isnt a big issue... but I still compare everthing to this radio.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSS-MARINE-BOA...715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adde64e5b

You get a radio and a wired remote for around $100. there are about 4 different models and I need to campare each one.
mr-1600s
1600w
1400s
I just need to find one with a USB in the rear that plays from a jump stick. If it's in the front, I wont be able shut the glove box.

I looked at an Alpine for $300 but it didnt come with a wired remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back