Quarter turn cranks, smoke at starter positive cable, buzzing noise after quarter crank, no start 2000 seadoo rx

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattL

5 months ago I bought my first jet ski. After about 20 hours of riding I wrapped the prop around a crab pot rope. I got it towed at least going 6 MPH to shore to cut out the rope. After cutting the rope out, I went to start it and it was having a hard time and sounded jumpy. I kept trying to start it over and over while giving it gas and it would start for a few seconds then shut off. Eventually it started for a few seconds and I went to drive away and it shut off and would not crank after that. I read about how you aren’t supposed to tow them after I got it back to the dock and learned about how I probably had some water in the engine while trying to start. It was getting late and I had to head from maryland back to NY for my upcoming work week (which I realized after I was back in NY that you should not let the engine sit for more than 24 hours because of corrosion). I came down the following weekend and tried to start it with the plugs out and it would not turn over. I put CRC 656 in the plug holes and the thing just started cranking like crazy. I cranked numerous times until I didn’t see any crc or water coming out of the holes. I put the plugs back in and it cranked over A few times and then stopped cranking. I took the plugs back out and sprayed more crc 656 but still can’t get it to crank a full rotation. Now I can only get it to do about quarter crank turns until the piston is at a sweet spot and then it will do a 1/2 turn and then back to 1/4 until it gets to the sweet spot in the stroke again. I cannot turn the engine shaft with my bare hands (I tried a pipe wrench but couldn’t find a good spot to grab onto the shaft). My question is do I need a new starter or is the engine shot?

I bought a 2014 seadoo rxt shortly after and I can tell you I am glad I made the mistakes on the 2000

5 months ago I bought my first jet ski. After about 20 hours of riding I wrapped the prop around a crab pot rope. I got it towed at least going 6 MPH to shore to cut out the rope. After cutting the rope out, I went to start it and it was having a hard time and sounded jumpy. I kept trying to start it over and over while giving it gas and it would start for a few seconds then shut off. Eventually it started for a few seconds and I went to drive away and it shut off and would not crank after that. I read about how you aren’t supposed to tow them after I got it back to the dock and learned about how I probably had some water in the engine while trying to start. It was getting late and I had to head from maryland back to NY for my upcoming work week (which I realized after I was back in NY that you should not let the engine sit for more than 24 hours because of corrosion). I came down the following weekend and tried to start it with the plugs out and it would not turn over. I put CRC 656 in the plug holes and the thing just started cranking like crazy. I cranked numerous times until I didn’t see any crc or water coming out of the holes. I put the plugs back in and it cranked over A few times and then stopped cranking. I took the plugs back out and sprayed more crc 656 but still can’t get it to crank a full rotation. Now I can only get it to do about quarter crank turns until the piston is at a sweet spot and then it will do a 1/2 turn and then back to 1/4 until it gets to the sweet spot in the stroke again. I cannot turn the engine shaft with my bare hands (I tried a pipe wrench but couldn’t find a good spot to grab onto the shaft). My question is do I need a new starter or is the engine shot?

I bought a 2014 seadoo rxt shortly after and I can tell you I am glad I made the mistakes on the 2000
Sounds seized up a bit. Make sure you pinch off the hose from your exhaust if you tow your 2014. Seadoo puts a red tape on the water hose to pinch off before you tow.

Are you SURE you got all the rope out? Remove the jet pump and see what happens. There is no reason for the engine to lock up and not run unless something twisted. Pull the jet pump an give it good once over. With the spark plugs removed you should be able to turn the engine by hand easily with the jet pump removed. Good Luck !

With you saying that, I’m wondering if the rope bent the shaft or something wacky. Has anyone ever pulled the whole shaft out of the bearing at the grease spot where the flywheel is? Wonder if the bearing got screwed up.

I'd pull the pump and find the problem. The shaft might be bent but I'm not sure what impact that would have on the engine. Removing the pump and shaft would reveal a problem if there is one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back