Purchase 2002 GTX/what to look for

burtshaver2021

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi everyone, I’ve just messaged about 2 2002 GTX 155 on a double trailer and I’m not really sure what I should be looking for when I’m looking at them. I’m pretty familiar with the 2 stroke machines but have never owned a 4 stroke. What should I be looking at when I go to see them? Is the 2002 model year a gooxx FCC year for the 155? I will post a picture of the ad as well, looks like they will need some work.

I got one just like that earlier this spring, it started right up, but the guy did not run water through it since it was still early spring (I am from NJ, but he was in PA). They do sound different, mine had a little metal rattle sound to it, made me think a loose motor mount, but I think it was because it wasn't in the water, so I didn't know what to expect. The 1st thing you will notice is there is no room to work on in the engine. They do seem clean, good luck.

PS forgot to mention the gauge not being connected, mine had the same issue, but it will run on a trailer and throttle up, as far as getting up to full speed on the water I don't know because I didn't put this one on the water (i got it as a package deal, and was really interested in the 2 stroke one).

Attachments

• 20240601_093637.jpg
    20240601_093637.jpg
    940.4 KB · Views: 1
PS forgot to mention the gauge not being connected, mine had the same issue, but it will run on a trailer and throttle up, as far as getting up to full speed on the water I don't know because I didn't put this one on the water (i got it as a package deal, and was really interested in the 2 stroke one).
Thank you for the reply, I’m like a fish out of water when it comes to knowing about these, seems like my perfect seller, just an owner, not a buyer seller type, has a cottage in Quebec.

In my opinion and experience (with cars), if it's a one owner and they kept it for more than the initial financing period, then the owner took care of it, especially if they look that clean and he's had them for over 20 years.

In my opinion and experience (with cars), if it's a one owner and they kept it for more than the initial financing period, then the owner took care of it, especially if they look that clean and he's had them for over 20 years.
Really good point

That surprises me, you being interested in the 2 stroke that is. All my machines are 2 strokes but the 4 stroke had me interested, the longevity and fuel economy are features that attract me. I will never be without my 2 stroke X4 hull though for playing. I can see it’s coming where these older 4tecs with issues are becoming affordable for guys like me that want to work on them.

That surprises me, you being interested in the 2 stroke that is. All my machines are 2 strokes but the 4 stroke had me interested, the longevity and fuel economy are features that attract me. I will never be without my 2 stroke X4 hull though for playing. I can see it’s coming where these older 4tecs with issues are becoming affordable for guys like me that want to work on them.
sounds like they need some loving care not to bad. fuel economy is the only thing my x4 can't do as good or better imo. check the oil bring a battery turn it over and see what they sound like see if it cranks good you can compression test if you like I do but its up to you

sounds like they need some loving care not to bad. fuel economy is the only thing my x4 can't do as good or better imo. check the oil bring a battery turn it over and see what they sound like see if it cranks good you can compression test if you like I do but its up to you
What should compression be on these 155 4 tecs?

My 4-tec 215 runs about 125 PSI. I never worked on a 155 but expect the smaller engine to be in the same range.

Back