Pump Seal

Boyd12

I just bought this pump and noticed the damage to the seal. Is this ok? There is no evidence of a prior leak. If the seal needs to be replaced, As far as I know, I would have to have someone press out the bearings and seal to replace them. What a pain.
20240925_175137.jpg

You can do a leak test for the pump. if it passes then its should work but it might not hold for a long time. might end up breaking and ruining the pump. id replace it. You can do it yourself without a press and you could try to just take the seal out and replace it yourself.

My philosophy is to replace anything that is worn or damaged, it wont last long and you will be back at it, replacing it sooner rather than later. Just my 2 cents.

Replace it. Removing the bad one can be done by prying it out, being careful not to score the aluminum housing. Insert a new one using a deep socket that's just slightly smaller than the seal, and tap it in straight. if it gets cocked sideways too much you will damage it. drive it in (tap on the socket with a hammer) until its flush with the housing. then grease it inside with synthetic grease before inserting the impeller shaft. I think you can get a plastic cover/seal saver that fits over the impeller shaft to prevent the shaft from cutting into the seal when you push the shaft through. keep it greasy so it will go down easy!

Back