Pump removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlh20

I took the steering part of the pump off and took 4 of the main bolts that are holding the pump on and it seems like the pump isnt buding. are there any bolts holding it on from the bottom of the ski or something? i dont think its just stuck i think theres another bolt that i dont see thanks for your help

Pump removal?

If this is about your 90's model PWC, then your right, you must remove the steering, and reverser cable and if equipped, the VTS cable. Then remove the 4 bolts that hold the reverser assembly on. After you remove this part, you should see the point of the jet unit. You must remove the speedometer assembly attached to the plate for clearance to get the pump unit out. I didnt' do that and it was a fight to get it clear. Then, remove the 4 bolts that attach the pump to the hull. Go into the engine compartment and detach the water pickup line that is coming from a plastic tube, coming through the hull, that is fitted to the pump. Once you have the water line disconnected and the 4 bolts removed, you'll have to wiggle a bit from side to side and up and down until you break the seal of the pump where it mates up to the hull. There's a rubber ring between the seal plate and the pump that may be stuck pretty good. If you've got all those nuts off and the water line disconnected, just keep working at it with brute strength, it'll come off. Just don't put a screwdriver behind it and try to pry it off. You'll put a hole in your hull!.............
Let me know how it turns out.
Also, on my 787, where the water tube passes through the hull of the boat, someone, before me, put the red "permatex" gasket maker to seal the tube passing into the hull. I guess they had a leak.

Make sure you reach into the intake grate and push the drive shaft forward as you pull off the pump. Sometimes the splines on the pump end of the shaft stick to the inside of the impeller. A friend for this part would be helpful.

End of shaft splines:

Impeller from the driveshaft side of the pump:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back