Pre mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjpex

Anyone out there running pre mix ? I read a few threads on the oil pump failure and was wondering if i should start pre mixing.

What do you do with the lines from the oil tank? Whats the ratio?

Thanks Jp

Anyone out there running pre mix ? I read a few threads on the oil pump failure and was wondering if i should start pre mixing.

What do you do with the lines from the oil tank? Whats the ratio?

Thanks Jp

i heard that you want to put 1 gallon per 40 gallon or 50/1 and just run your oil out and premix it. but i heard at idle you only have to have like 100/1 so it will go thru quite a bit more oil, i just did a rebuild and replaced the worm gear on my 2000 240 merc engine and im gonna continue to use that now since it is new and better quality than the original supposedly... my old one wore out and caused engine failure.... not sure if your is electric or driven by crank. thats my input...(im currently 50/1 plus injection also for break in) Someone might come back with a more firm answer ive heard alot of people doing this.

86.jpg

87.jpg

p.s dont really know how many hours it took to tear it down this much.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a 2001 speedster and its an excellent condition ... i just got it a few weeks ago from an older couple who used it to tool around on
it is super clean but im not sure how many hours are on it. he said they used a lot when they first got it but had no clue either...
it runs strong but if this gear fails well there go's the engine ...so i figured why take a chance just run premix! problem solved

Question - so what do i do with my oil tank just run it out and leave it empty? do i need to worry about the lines sucking in air ?
and my oil light will be on all the time when its empty right ?

i have a 2001 speedster and its an excellent condition ... i just got it a few weeks ago from an older couple who used it to tool around on
it is super clean but im not sure how many hours are on it. he said they used a lot when they first got it but had no clue either...
it runs strong but if this gear fails well there go's the engine ...so i figured why take a chance just run premix! problem solved

Question - so what do i do with my oil tank just run it out and leave it empty? do i need to worry about the lines sucking in air ?
and my oil light will be on all the time when its empty right ?

I wouldent worry about the lines sucking air because your premix will be giving it what it needs anyways. the buzzer and low oil warnings would deff be something to think about. uplug the sensor on the reservoir.. (i see it has the float in it) im not really sure... There is a way to play with the two wires so they read as they would with a full tank of oil... As long as anyone who might put gas in the boat knows what to do with oil and gas you should be good to go ... Someone on here hopefully that has done this will chime in good luck, if i had researched this before it had happened i would have premixed to be safe.., but for now since i just put the new worm gear in i probably wont take this route.

post deleted -didn't pertain to this engine.

I'll pay more attention to the "section" from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:
SDB,

You do know that this is a Mercury powered boat, it has no rotary valve, the mercury oil pump actually fails regularly. Maybe you should read the thread and the section the thread is in before you make comments.

Absolutely nothing in your advice applies to this thread. If you don't know the answer please don't comment.

Lou

so just leave everything the way it is and just premix the gas....right

Do i need to worry about fouling plugs?

is there anyone out there that has done this ?????? THANKS to all who have replied

sorry but xjpex didn't list his boat in his profile, although he mentions it's a2001 speedster later on. I thought the 2nd post was just telling his story about pre-mixing and possible failure.

Premix

I'm in the same situation with a 2000 speedster. My plan is to pull the oil pump driveshaft and plug the hoses going to the 3 gallon tank (probably remove it and add a second battery).

I thought about buying one of those cameras that are the diameter of a pencil on a flex shaft from the home depot and try to inspect my worm gear without having to tear into the motor, but I'm still scared of failure.

I'm in the same situation with a 2000 speedster. My plan is to pull the oil pump driveshaft and plug the hoses going to the 3 gallon tank (probably remove it and add a second battery).

I thought about buying one of those cameras that are the diameter of a pencil on a flex shaft from the home depot and try to inspect my worm gear without having to tear into the motor, but I'm still scared of failure.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M... 0E384499/Oil Injection Components/parts.html
Yeah not a bad idea.... Bore scop with led light on the end take the oil pump off but then you gotta get that bronzish part on diagram #36 i actually broke it during my rebuild had to buy a new one. It pushes down from outside and is very snug with o ring on it i pushed it out from the inside when motor was apart i dont know how hard it would be to do it from the outside after sitting in there for years but that part hold the drive shaft firmly in place down to worm gear on the crankshaft, but if you end up doing it let us know how that goes its a very good idea!!!!!! i havent bought a bore scope yet but its on my wishlist!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back