Possibly running lean

Roley

I bought a 2006 rxp 215 as an engine donor for a jet boat. The ski ran great when I bought it, spark plugs looked normal tan colour and there was what looked like a normal amount of black soot inside the exhaust manifold. You could wipe your finger inside the manifold and come out with a little bit of soot.

I now have the engine in the boat and it's still running great and has heaps of power, I don't have the cluster hooked up because it doesn't work so I can't see the rpms but it's definitely revving out to 7900 or whatever they run. I do have an external temp gauge and it never gets above 87.

I gave it fresh plugs before it's first outing and pulled them after 2 hours of hard use and they look as white as when they went in. The inside of the exhaust manifold is now perfectly clean, not a speck of soot anywhere, it's all been burnt out. I don't know if this is normal and I'm overthinking it? I will be adding an o2 sensor soon but I just wanted to get some opinions first. Thank you 1000003256.jpg

looks like they might be getting washed by water, they have some bits of tan, intercooler leaking possibly?

Might be a good idea to pressure test that, it's one of those intercoolers inside the intake manifold. I heard they are pretty corrosion resistant but this ski would have lived it's whole life in salt water.

Back