Please help, metal in engine compartment......

Status
Not open for further replies.

shep

I have no idea what happened, and this is defenitely the worst day of my life.... 2004 Seadoo Utopia 185, with a Mercury JET - (200DFI H.P. (2003 )) Serial No: 0E415782 Model No: S200J20AS engine.

We were out yesterday, and on the way back I thought i picked up some weeds, as the motor wouldn't go above 3K RPM. It then started making a weird tinging sound, and I shut it off, and looked in the engine compartment, low and behold there were shards of metal, and some fillings around the oil reservoir fill cap. I’ve gone over every inch of the engine that I can, and I don’t see a hole anywhere in the block? I keep the boat in my garage at home, at this morning after it sat all night, the smell of oil was definitely stronger in the garage than it normally is. Does anyone know what could cause this, and how the shards ( chunks ) and fillings would have gotten around the engine bay? I feel that I really messed something up, but just have no idea what. Any help would be greatly appreciated, just so upset this morning looking at the blue sky and 30 degree weather…… land bound for a while I guess…. I’ve added photo’s from the engine bay to this post.
image_1.jpgimage_2.jpgimage_3.jpg

30 degrees in my neck of the woods would keep me in indoors. Lol. Anyway. Maybe its something as simple as the drive gear on the starter blew apart or a magnet under the flywheel came loose and got shredded. Good luck.

Not good, but if this is the worst day of your life...you've had a good one. Prolly a busted connecting rod breached the cylinder block.

..... Prolly a busted connecting rod breached the cylinder block.

Yep... that's what I'm thinking too. You have a rod hanging out of the engine. Look close on each side. It may be hiding behind wires, hoses, or other part.

My mind leaped straight to flywheel magnets but I would probably check compression on all cylinders to see if one died.

Tony, post a pic of your block with the big hole in it that you welded.

Ask, and ye shall receive....

FYI... that's the connecting rod hanging out, right by the fuel pump.

55.jpg

68.jpg

286.jpg

rsz_image_4-2.jpgDr Honda - RiverPro - SeadooBuddy:

You guys are all bang on....took a while to find it ( 3 of us with flashlights for an hour ), but if you look at the image below, there it is behind the f/r linkage gear..... what do you guys think? Can it be welded? A good friend of mine knows a welder, and I was thinking about getting a rebuild kit, and then working on it over the winter...I think I would also go to an oil mix bypass mod while in the process, but we will see when it get's pulled what happened I suppose..... Do either of you fine folks have a recommendation for where to buy a rebuild kit? I Assume one would be needed...

Again, thanks very much for the comments guys. Appreciated. After seeing what Dr Honda has done I'm slowly getting over the worst day... ;)

Hey guys:

Thanks very much for the comments. Based on the photo above, what are your thoughts? Do you think it can be welded? Any recommendations for a powerhead replacement or what would be my best idea? The engine is a 2.5L Mercury OPTIMAX M2 200DFI M2 Jet, Serial No: 0E415782 Model No: S200J20AS. Trying to determine if it's a fixup, or part out. Hoping not a part out....

Thanks again

That's a little hole. The case could probably be welded up without an issue. Assuming, the interior of the case is OK.

I would start with opening the engine... and seeing what damage you have.

Thanks Tony, appreciated. Will start on it after this weekend. Any recommendations on where to grab a rebuild kit? Pistons / rods / gaskets, etc?

Thanks again

There's a shop named tri-state marine. His price was good... and a few people here have bought parts from him. I'll have to dig up the info.

But, before worrying about what to buy... let's look inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back