please delete

Caseypsmith

Hey guys, I picked up a 97 XP on the free about a week ago, it has sat under cover(outside) since 2012. Cleaned it when I got home and it cleaned up very nice! Proceeded to pump out fuel and oil tanks, clean lines and change the ones that needed changing(most of them). Took the carbs off and disassembled/cleaned. Surprisingly there was NO corrosion or gum inside of carbs, only nastiness I found was on the brass fuel inlets and that all cleaned up nice. Put carbs back on, tested/primed oil and fuel system, put a little oil in plug holes, and she started right up and idles great. Smokes a good bit though, thinking maybe I should run some Seafoam through the fuel tank or something. But here’s where the ugly and questions start.

***disclaimer I know nothing about jet skis. Had a bass boat for year and an 87 Mastercraft Prostar we take out almost every weekend, so take it easy on me.

1. VTS system doesn’t work, blows the 7.5 fuse as soon as I press the button, took motor off and bench tests fine so I assume it’s the module behind where the motor mounts? The boot was torn and I already ordered a new one.

2. How do you get to VTS module behind the motor? Didn’t see any bolts or anything, and does “the trim fix” bypass the OEM module?

3. There’s a leak coming from the underneath of the “tuned pipe” off the motor, looks like it was epoxied over. Is there something that goes there or can I TIG weld the hole up?

4. I’m missing the cover of the second rave valve, there’s only the threaded end of the valve inside the manifold, can I just order the cap and spring assembly?

5. When I water tested, seemed to cavitate pretty bad, kinda like a “clutch slipping” feeling. I pulled the back cover off and saw the carbon seal had a slow drip, and when use get on the gas, the ski would seem to bury the front end(which could be cause by trim not sure) when I got off the water I checked the white wear ring and it look okay IMO? But I noticed black chunks of plastic inside the jet housing, and I’m not sure if that’s coming from something past the wear ring or left over flooring I peeled off when u got the ski(it was super dry rotted).

Any help or suggestions are welcomed, thanks again!

Prostar pics added just cuz! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0024.jpeg
    IMG_0024.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0067.png
    IMG_0067.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0068.png