Optimax Ran without Oil

WolfKnight

Newbie here.

We just got a 2002 Sea doo Utopia Optimax 250 jet drive a few weeks ago. It has run great until, my teenagers took the boat out for most of the day and said it ran great and then the engine started dying, they kept restating it trying to get back and then there was some small clinking coming from the engine. They shut it off and got towed in. I noticed the oil tanks were empty and the low warning sensor was outside the oil tank on the engine with the magnet sensor taped to the top of the sensor. I refilled the oil tanks including the one on the engine to the top and was able to start it and purge the air from the oil tank on the engine. It starts and ran fine low idle at the dock (no clinking) for about 5 minuets then starts dying again. Then will not start. Once it sits for 30 mins it does the same, starts idles for 5 minuets then dies. I can restart it then continues to die. Then it will not turn over.

Did they kill the motor?

Many Thanks,

WolfKight

Thanks for the doc, very helpful.

No alarms, and did not seem to go into Guardian Mode, I would think the heat would have caused Guardian mode.

The damage has been done, time for a rebuild.

Back