ok i joined the premium section now i have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chico

i just bought this boat ;ast friday, i have been reading the forum on my phone all day as im driving, i drive from mn to michigan twice a weeek, anyway i need an impellar and wear ring so i was over on the sbt site and thought i would just order their whole driveline repair kit for 64 dollars then the pump repair kit for 49 then i need the wear ring and impellar, seeing as i can only work on my boat on the wekends i would like to have all the parts there this weekend, has anyone heard anything about these driveline repair kits with all the gaskets and seals and the pump repair kits? i just dont wanna tear into it and not be able to finish it by sunday, or am i better of just tearig it down and replacing just what it needs instead of everything? compression was 135 each cylinder so i am pulling the motor this winter and going through it, i will deal with the pump etc now, im not interested in in making ot go any faster i just wanna fix what needs fixing, i have been reading alot about this carbon ring, over on another forum they are saying in 98 they came out with an update and it helps with cavitation, but here in a thread someone said dont do it you will have a huge hole in your hull if you dont grease it, i just want it dont right, any suggestions? thanks guys im gonna take a nap they are unloading me then im heading back to mn, m i better off betting my impellar refurbished or buying a new one? im not even sure hwtas in there i guess if its a solas or skat trak get it refurbished if its an oem replace it right? thanks buddies

i just bought this boat ;ast friday, i have been reading the forum on my phone all day as im driving, i drive from mn to michigan twice a weeek, anyway i need an impellar and wear ring so i was over on the sbt site and thought i would just order their whole driveline repair kit for 64 dollars then the pump repair kit for 49 then i need the wear ring and impellar, seeing as i can only work on my boat on the wekends i would like to have all the parts there this weekend, has anyone heard anything about these driveline repair kits with all the gaskets and seals and the pump repair kits? i just dont wanna tear into it and not be able to finish it by sunday, or am i better of just tearig it down and replacing just what it needs instead of everything? compression was 135 each cylinder so i am pulling the motor this winter and going through it, i will deal with the pump etc now, im not interested in in making ot go any faster i just wanna fix what needs fixing, i have been reading alot about this carbon ring, over on another forum they are saying in 98 they came out with an update and it helps with cavitation, but here in a thread someone said dont do it you will have a huge hole in your hull if you dont grease it, i just want it dont right, any suggestions? thanks guys im gonna take a nap they are unloading me then im heading back to mn, m i better off betting my impellar refurbished or buying a new one? im not even sure hwtas in there i guess if its a solas or skat trak get it refurbished if its an oem replace it right? thanks buddies

Lol.. Slow down cowboy.. First I hope your not driving and reading, I don't want you to get hurt lol... Now you have a lot of questions...

First off, congrats on your purchase, my friend has a 96 challenger and he loves it!

Most importantly you should get your manuals, operators manual, and shop manual.. You could buy them off this site..

If I was you I would buy the whole repair kit, I ordered mines partial and needed the whole thing..

I don't know of any "Updates" in 98... so, do you know what they were talking about?

Also, you are mixing up the early boats and the newer boats. in 1995 and earlier... they used a regular seal pack on the drive shaft. It had 2 seals, and a bearing in it. That seal... if it wasn't greased after every ride... it would fail, and rip itself out. (normally sinking the boat or ski) In 96, they changed to the carbon seal. It's almost impossible for it to have that kind of failure.

So... from your description of the "Drive line repair kit"... I think you bought the wrong seal kit. I will have to go check... but I think that's the kit for the 95 and earlier boats.

ok fellas sitting in southwester mn in my semi loading, this sucks i wanna ride my boat but gotta work to fund it, anyway, im gonna order my new impeller this weekend and wear ring, the dealer told me to just run it with the edge of the blade bent if it gets up on plane but id rather not risk overreving the motor, so when i pull my pump off do the two gaskets usually tear? he said one was 45 and the other was 8 dollars, this fal after riding i am gonna pull the motor and have it rebuilt, i figure its cheaper to have it rebuilt now than ta wait til it grenades, he also recommended replacing the bearings in the pump and seals at the time the impellar is being changed, i read a thread where another member made a pressure tester from home depot stuff for under 25.00 but i couldnt see the pics for some reason, is there another thread about that with pics?

2012-07-02_19-43-53_530.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i was mistaken, i thought it was an update in 98 but after reading it again it was an earlier design that they changed out, how hard is it to change that carbon seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back