Oil Pump Run Dry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkiser

I have a used 2004 seadoo gti le rfi. My question is, the oil pump was run dry for a period of time because the previous owner was running premix. Is it safe to go back to using the oil pump or is it toast because it was run without oil? I also wanted to say that he had closed off the rotary valve and it contained oil so I am not worried about it.

You can hook it all back up, just make sure you verify that the pump is working, inspect the oil lines for damage, and prime the lines, oh and fill the tank with the right oil.. Check for leaks on that tank too.

I have hooked it back up and primed the lines. When I tested the pump I could only seem to get it to pump oil when I manually held the pump wide open. Is this normal?

I have hooked it back up and primed the lines. When I tested the pump I could only seem to get it to pump oil when I manually held the pump wide open. Is this normal?
Kind of, normally to prime the pump, after you bleed it, you take the plugs out , ground the plug wires and turn it over with throttle wide open, this gets the max amount of oil going through the lines. When it is just idling, there isn't much oil moving, this is what you may be seeing. Its a very efficient system. One thing to see if it is smoking bit. After you do this you should have a small bit of extra oil in the chamber that will burn off.

Last edited:
I'm no expert at these, but the way I made sure all of the air bubbles were out of the tiny hoses was to idle it on pre-mix, and hold the injection pump arm in the wide open position with the hoses disconnected at the rotary valve cover until no more air bubbles came out. Check the pump calibration too, with throttle at idle position, the two lines should line up. If not, adjust the inj pump cable.

These take basically no oil at idle as there is no load on the engine. You do not need to premix to prime the pump. Just open the bleed screw on the pump and let it flow until clean oil comes out then close it. Holding the oil pump cam open start the ski and watch the oil pump in the small 3/32" hoses until it reaches the intake manifold. then you are done, go ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back