Oil on spark plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

devguys

I have a 1989 SeaDoo XP. Been setting for about 6 months with a motor rebuild in August of 07. I take it to the water and starts up just after 4 tries. However, when the throttle is hit, the ski will die. Took it out of the water, and brought it back to the house. Popped out the plugs, and a little bit of oil is on both plugs. They are certainly fouled out, but why would the oil be on the plugs. I know with my car, it means most likely the valve cover or head gasket is blown.

Help please

Welcome to the seadoo forum devguys. First off the XP is a 2 stroke engine. It is not like you car. Your car is a 4 stroke engine with a cam and valves. It is nothing like you xp. Is the gas new or the left over fuel from 6 months ago? Did you winterize it or prepare it for the no running time? It should have fresh gas to run properly. I would locate the fuel / water separator on the fuel line and check it for contaminates and dump out the bad fuel and add fresh to the separator too. It holds about maybe 6 oz. of fuel. Change the plugs and than run it for a couple minutes on the hose before going to the water. Use the choke and let it warm up for a couple minutes. Don't let the XP run too long on the hose as it will not be able to cool the impeller or the bearings on the impeller shaft because it isn't in the water. After a short run on the hose put it back in the water and let it warm up before you leave the dock area. If it still gives you trouble it could be that the carbs need to be cleaned. Let us know how you make out and if it still is giving you problems we go a little further to help you get it running.

Karl

In addition to KustomKarl...

In addition to what Karl has said, you may want to look on the front of the engine where your oil pump is, check to see that the cable responds to opening and closing the throttle. If you had an engine rebuild, did they re-syncronize the oil injection pump to the carbs. The possibility of injecting to much oil will certainly foul plugs.
There is one other thing that may be of concern but for now, file it away in the back of your head. The rotary valve chamber is located between the two connecting rods of the crankshaft. This chamber is kept filled with oil from your oil tank. There is a seal on either side to keep the oil from leaking into the combustion sides of the pistons. If one or both of these seals are leaking, this will cause fouling. But too, if the engine had a fresh rebuild and the engine set for any period of time, the oil could have seeped slowly over time and you may just need to burn or blow it out.
I'd go with Karl's ideas, then turn to my post if you don't get safisfactory results. Karls touching base on all the probable causes from a sitting up condition and what happens to fuels and oils....lacquering, etc...
Good luck and let us know what you find out!.........:cheers:

question

I've got a similar problem w/ my 90 SP. Does anyone know where this 6oz. fuel separator is located? Mine only seems to have an in line filter that holds about 1/2 oz.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back