Oil Leak in 1996 GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothsahn

I have an oil leak on my 1996 GTX. I was planning to track it down, but hadn't gotten to it yet. There's just constantly a small puddle of oil in the bilge of my sea doo, and there's rancid smelling dried up oil residue all over the inside.

When I was replacing the oil filter, the oil line pulled right off the oil tank. I noticed that the fitting at the bottom of the oil tank felt loose--you could swivel it around. I'm going to replace the oil line as it's not nearly as tight as it should be on the oil tank.

A couple questions:
1) Is it normal for the fitting at the bottom of the oil tank to swivel like that? If not, how do you fix it?
2) What oil line should I buy (size, etc) to replace my existing oil line?
3) Are there any other common locations for oil leaks that I should check?
4) When I clean out the oil inside, can I just use purple power with a pressure washer? Should I do something differently?

Last edited:
I have never seen an oil line that needs to be replaced unless it’s cut. They should be held on with good quality zip ties.

The rubber grommets are really common to be bad and a common place for oil leaks. They should be replaced.

So do I just buy 293 720 008? Do I also need the 90 degree fitting elbow? How do I get the old grommet out?

You don't need a new elbow, to remove it you have to pull/pry it out. Can be a little tricky

You don't need a new elbow, to remove it you have to pull/pry it out. Can be a little tricky

So I need to pull the oil tank out, or I can do it with the oil tank still installed? I just pry down on the red elbow until the grommet pops? How do I get the old grommet out and the new grommet in?

I would take out the tank, although you could do it in the ski, would make a but of a mess though. Just pry and pull on the red elbow until it pops off. Put the grommet on and push it back in. It can take quite a bit of force to get it to come off and go back in, more than you would think

I would take out the tank, although you could do it in the ski, would make a but of a mess though. Just pry and pull on the red elbow until it pops off. Put the grommet on and push it back in. It can take quite a bit of force to get it to come off and go back in, more than you would think

So:
1) Drain the oil from the tank
2) Put force on the elbow downwards until it pops out
3) Put the grommet that holds it on goes on the outside of the tank, not the inside?

Pull the tank. The red elbow comes out just wiggling and pulling by hand, no tools are needed. Then pull out the old grommet.

Install the new grommet then, it sounds gross but I just use spit on the new one and wiggle and push the red elbow back in.

Pull the tank. The red elbow comes out just wiggling and pulling by hand, no tools are needed. Then pull out the old grommet.

Install the new grommet then, it sounds gross but I just use spit on the new one and wiggle and push the red elbow back in.

Thank you! Will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back