Oil leak drive shaft

Lionel762

Working on a 2003 gtx supercharged 4 tec.
Just rebuilt the supercharger and took it to the lake. About two hours in low oil warning beep hit.
After inspection I can see oil dripping past seal on drive shaft next to supercharger. The hose clamp around the seal/hose 0n drive shaft near engine was lose and slid over. I assume I pushed it when messing with supercharger.

My question. If the clamp is loose will it leak oil under load or is the seal bad? There were no signs of oil before….not until the rebuild and re-install of supercharger.
Thanks!

I would try tightening the clamp and clean it up first to see if it solves it.

When I took the drive shaft out of my 2005, had a lot of problems trying to reassemble due to the heavy pitting on the shaft in the area of the O-rings under the carbon seal hat and under the bearing inside the PTO housing rubber bellows.
The Oring would catch on the pitting and try to roll which would prevent you from sliding the shaft through it. Grease on the shaft made it worse. Light oil and twisting the hat and shaft as you try to push it in worked the best.

You may also want to verify you put the O-ring on the snout of the SC body and depending on what you did to the SC, there is no oil in the hose between the SC and the throttle body.

A less likely issue could be oil coming out of the weep hole under the oil and water pumps.

Last edited:
Back