Oil/gas coming out of pulse line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000challenger

I have been tryin to start my 96 xp that was pulled out of the woods :) I have the fuel lines disconnected have been using premix squirted into the carbs and it has hit once or twice but has a Lott of oil being injected.... And I had the pulse line off the front carb and noticed with every revolution of the engine it is pumping what looks to be gas/oil out of the crankcase. I just checked the oil pump and it is frozen up... Looks to be in the WOT position... So that's where all the oil is from... But is oil/gas supposed to come from pulse line? Me thinks no.... How do I get it out?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The pulse line is connected to the crankcase, the pressure pulses move a diaphragm in the fuel pump that move fuel via a check valve. You should have the pulse line hooked to the pulse port of the carbs or blocked off if you want it to fire at all. It's a huge vacuum leak if you leave it open.

The line is disconnected from the carb side and pumping the fluid out of the crankcase.... Should that be happening? Doesn't st

I didn't even think of the vacuum leak though maybe that's another reason it wasn't wanting to fire. Thanks strizzo

If I can't get the oil pump freed up from the wide open position, can I just clamp the oil lines and run premix?

If it is actually working, the full open oiling won't hurt the motor and you can deal with it after. What numbers did you get from a compression test?

170 and 178 the starter doesn't even want to roll it over with both plugs in! There is a good mist of oil blowing up out of it when I pull the pugs and roll it over... Got to be the reason I have so high of compression #s and it doesn't clear up No matter how many times I roll it over...

When I put the plugs in and roll it over then pull them out they are almost dripping with oil

The center seal has probably been leaking into the crank while it was sitting. Pull the plugs and crank, but pull the throttle wide open. This will help with the pumping action and clear more oil from the bottom end.

Please forgive my ignorance but what is the center seal? And should I clamp the oil lines so it won't be injecting more oil?

Noooo with no oil the motor won't have a long life.

The center seal is a cavity in between the two cylinders where the rotary valve shaft is lubricated. It's common for it to leak a bit of oil over time and to flood the bottom end when parked for an extended period of time.

When I am trying to crank it I am using premix in a squirt bottle...because it still has the grey lines (I am trying to decide if its worth fixing or part it out) so the cylinder is getting oil in the fuel but there is more than 1 oil line coming from the tank, does that oil go else where in the motor?(other than the intake)

Two lines go to the rotary valve cavity and keep it lubricated. That's where the seals leak into the crankcase from.

Thanks for the info strizzo.. Really appreciate it. Hope I know these motors good enough one day to give someone else advice

You really should not be getting much oil via the oil pump unless the pump is operating (engine turning and gears ok to drive oil pump). Pictures in manual spell it out better than I probably can. When you speak of oil pump not operating, are you referring to the lever on the outside of the pump? The lever just meters how much oil mixes with the gas at the rotary valve (under carb) and the spring on the lever is designed so you will have max oil flow in case the cable falls off or breaks. Strizzo is on the money with the probable source of the oil.

I just went thru this on a 90 SP I just acquired that was sitting out for years, but have the luxury on the 580 engine to be able drain the oil out the bottom of the engine. If you get oil out of the pulse line and removed plugs you probably just need to crank it (short runs of 10-20 seconds so you do not burn up the starter ... let it cool while you charge the battery a little). I ended up flooding mine out, but when it started it belched, farted, and spit out a ton of oil and smoke. I found that I could not run for more than 20-30 seconds before the thru-hull fitting aft of the engine got hot to the touch and needed an hour or so to cool off enough to do another short run. After about 6-8 cycles of this it would fire up immediately.

If you do not have a service manual, download one; they are very good and explain how to test the oil pump as well as gobs of other stuff.

Good luck.

Rod

Noooo with no oil the motor won't have a long life.

The center seal is a cavity in between the two cylinders where the rotary valve shaft is lubricated. It's common for it to leak a bit of oil over time and to flood the bottom end when parked for an extended period of time.

I agree 100%. With that high of a compression, it sounds like the cylinders are full/very coated with oil. It sounds like its coming from the seals on the crank. When they go bad, it can fill the cylinders very fast.

Might be time for a rebuild....! Unless of course you spit out all of that oil from the spark plug holes and it doesn't fill up again.

Finally blew it all out and had 148 on front cyl and 100 on back. :'( I reckon I have 96 xp parts for sale if any one is interested

Y'all don't have any need for xp or spx parts do you? I would love repay y'all in parts for you allowing me to pick your brains :) pm me if you need aiming and we can work out a deal. Thanks again for the detailed info y'all. Unless it is explained to me how something works. I don't retain information but if it broken down.. Then it sticks with me.. Thanks for breaking it down ;)

Don't give up yet. If you can get it on the water, run it a little to try to complete the cleanout, although I have doubts regarding low compression. Else run it several times on pre-mix ... not more than 30 seconds per run and an hour or so cool-off between run times. Ya may get lucky.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back