Oil coming out of exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickrobnz

I've got a 1995 Seadoo XP and I've just noticed a fair bit of black oil coming out of the exhaust. I had it running with the hose attached on the trailer
Seems strange because it's a premix 2 stroke... i.e. you premix the oil and fuel and then pour it into the fuel tank, so I don't understand how black oil would be coming out of it since the oil has already been mixed with the fuel.
Does this sound like a problem or is it somewhat normal?

Even though you run premix you probably still have the oil tank supplying oil to the lower part of the engine where the crank shaft is. Your crank seals are probably leaking and allowing oil to get into the cylinders. There are many references on the forum for installing a shut off valve on the oil supply line for the lower part of the engine. If the leak gets bad enough then the ultimate fix is to rebuild the engine and replace the crankshaft seals

Could be the crank seals.

Could be the premix is too rich.

Could be leaking needles and seats in the carbs. too much fuel and/or oil will cause the oily mess.

Finally it is a 2-stroke so you are going to have some black out the exhaust no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back