Off Power Assisted Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Premium Member
Premium Member
Anybody out there know of a way to check the O.P.A.S. when the ski is out of the water? Got a ski I'm working on and the customer says he has lost approx 15 mph on top end and it feels like (his words) he's towing a dead body behind him. I haven't had it to the water yet but I do know some things for sure.....the impeller and wear ring are like new, engine is running correctly and reaching full rpm, there are no codes and the engine is not in limp mode and the reverse gate is working correctly and in the full up position.
I've checked the screen in the venturi and it is clean. I've applied water to the OPAS inlet with a garden hose but it does'nt have enough pressure. Customer says you can't see if the OPAS is up or down when the ski is in the water (even if there is someone beside you on another ski). I'm assuming the OPAS is down because he says there is excessive wake on both sides of the ski at the rear corners when going full speed. If I can't find a way to check the system on land I'm thinking of tieing the ski to a dock and hitting the throttle in order to verify the position of the OPAS but that somehow seems like trouble waiting to happen. Thanks, DAWG

O.p.a.s.....?

Wow, I've only lightly looked at this, since no one has actually had any questions about it.
So, with your question, I had to go look at it. Since you didn't list what you were working on, I looked at the 2005 model, GTX series.
Seems like it would be more of a pain in the butt, then it would be worth.
I think your in the right direction with the speed problem and I know you have the manuals too but from what I'm reading, the only real way to see if they are working, is to take it out to see if they retract at full speed. From the description in the manual, the side wake created should be obvious.
Honestly, I don't know. Haven't riden one, never seen one, so, ....:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back