Not trying to beat a dead vts horse here, but.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

snikwad003

Only info i seem to find about people wanting vts on their boat is to trim it up. I want to trim down. I get the whole move the nozzle off center and loose pressure part and the part where it doesnt work good on bigger craft but i want to trim down at lower speeds so it wont bounce so much and im not worried about loosing pressure at slow speeds(at least i dont think i am). I dont want to give up what little reverse i have for tabs. My venturis have the spot to mount the "trim ring" that allows pivoting up and down for the nozzle that is not pictured in the exploded part diagram for the 1997 challenger 1800. Mine looks like the one on the 1996 xp. Looking at racerxxx's oem vts to hx write up looks like same process x2 with some custom wiring (i am a systems integrator and 12v and relays n stuff is my forte). The reverse bucket assy looks to have places cut out for the vts rod and the backing plate for the pump has the place for the vts "box" to mount thru the hull. So after youns guys read my long rant about dual vts on a challenger 1800 is there anybody else that has thought what im thinking and tried it. Keep in mind i dont care about trimming up or rooster tails or more top speed or any thing other than trimmig down and some compensation for heavy friends on one side of the boat(i think i could get enough downward trim on one with out putting too much stress on the rod that ties the nozzles together, if anything it would just point the nozzles together until the hiem breaks). So blah blah blah this that and the third am i just crazy or do i just want a good ass kicking from my new seadoo product? Thanks for reading.

The only "Beating a dead horse" thing is coming from you. If you want to install the VTS... then do it. Parts should be cheap from ebay.

BUT........

Personally... I wouldn't mess with the actual "VTS" unit, since they are expensive, and seem to be going away. I would adapt linier servos. OR... simply hook a cable to the ring, and add a manual trim lever somewhere.

I'm in favor of putting a few friends in the bow and calling it a day :p jk I agree with [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION]

I don't have an issue with using the OEM vts, they used that module FOREVER, even on the later skis, so it's not going away. I prefer the all OEM parts for the rig free installation so if you sell the boat it doesn't look like an after thought. And if it goes bad you just use the trim fix our the dei 451 relay trick. Looking forward to your outcome.

I have not ruled trim tabs out completely, i have not been able to find out if you can mount the actuator high enough to raise the tabs enough to keep reverse functoning. Ive seen every thing needed to keep a vts box alive. Dr. Honda's idea of a linear actuator would work good but those things are not cheap, i have not seen a price on a marine rated one yet im sure its ugly, and since the seal is achieved from the vts unit i dont know how to make that happen with out hacking up 2 vts boxes.

Ps racerxxx your hx is nasty. What brand carbon fiber wrap did you use? I think im gonna do my windshields and some stuff that is worn.

I got it here, it's house brand and has held up very well. Call them and talk to them about what you need. I ordered samples first to see which I liked better. Thanks for the props on the HX!
http://www.metrorestyling.com/Dark-...-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-p/metro3d24indarkgrey.htm

Here's the good thing about the OEM vts...............if it doesn't work you can sell the parts and lose a few bucks or break even. Don't get me wrong linear actuators are a great idea and they work great in their applications but the resale is where I have the hang up if they don't work. You need to find someone who needs that exact size............guys are always looking for VTS units that function.

Either way I hope you get the desired results, I always wanted to put it on my 99 Speedster.

Im probably gonna go with the vts. I wouldnt mind tabs as long as i can be sure reverse will work. I bet some of that carbon fiber makes its way to my other 2 stroke joy

Attachments

• 20160131_095642.jpg
    20160131_095642.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 19
Those rad shrouds on your bike would look sick in CF

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...ct-Clapped-out&p=306969&viewfull=1#post306969

101.jpg

I have a carbon fiber addiction

My dad is probaby to blame but i have a problem where I cant get enough carbon fiber. After august ill be sportin this bad boy on my wifed up finger 1-carbon-fiber-ring-forty-five_1_2.jpg.
But back on track.... im gonna make some trim tabs out of card board or something and find some stroke lengths of some tab actuators and see if i can get them high enough to raise their tips above the reverse gates, that might make reverse work better by not hitting the back of the boat with reverse water.

I have purchased the lenco short tabs, but I have yet to install them on my Sportster 1800. I get only a one or two hours a weeks to work on it, so I don;t have a firm date when I expect I will be able to mount them, but I hope before the season is over they will be on the boat. I'm looking forward to planning at lower speed for skying/pulling more easily as well as adjusting leaning when the load is uneven (I can re-arrange people, but sometimes there is still a person or two you can't get a neutral spot for)

I'll tell you how it goes once they are on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back