Not just another fuel gauge problem-1995 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DooAltekruse

I'm baffled or very unlucky. The fuel gauge on my '95 XP powers on as expected with all bars showing as well as other lights but it indicates no fuel in tank. I've read the other posts on this topic and fixed the fuel sensor in prior years by gluing the magnet back on. I have 2 of these sensors and both show a resistance between 0 and ~90 ohms when tilted back and forth. I've checked the wiring to the gauge and its shows continuity. I shorted the pins on the gauge and got no response. SO I purchased a used gauge and got the same response. I thought I bought another bad gauge so YEP, I bought another. I now have 3 gauges giving me the same non-response. When the spare sensor is hooked up to any of the multi-sensor gauges I now own I get no response when tilting it back and forth though the ohm reading is correct. I'm stumped. Could all 3 gauges be defective? This all started when the PWC sat unused for a year.

sounds like a fuse or electrical component in the baffle burnt there is a video on youtube about baffle repair this is my best guess hopefully someone more experienced will chime in, my ful gauge works intermittently as well on my 95 xp sometimes it works perfect and other times the gauge shows empty when full.

I would ohm out the wires from the info gauge to the fuel sender. (each wire seperately)

The way to test if its the gauge or the sender is simply take a piece of wire or paperclip and loop the two wires together. Fuel gauges on almost any vehicle rely on a ground signal and the sender applies resistance to the circuit. Higher resistance=less voltage, low fuel.

Another thing to test is if your sender wires are getting ground. use a volt meter on DC volts and hook one lead up to positive battery terminal and check the wires. One of the two should show battery voltage.

There is a very small surface mounted fuse in the baffle. There are pic tutorials on how to repair this fuse on the forum. You have to cut the baffle open just over the fuse and solder a jumper wire (bridge) over/around the fuse. Very easy fix. I have had to do it on two separate baffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a very small surface mounted fuse in the baffle. There are pic tutorials on how to repair this fuse on the forum. You have to cut the baffle open just over the fuse and solder a jumper wire (bridge) over/around the fuse. Very easy fix. I have had to do it on two separate baffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that its not a baffle problem because I get the appropriate resistance readings from the baffles when the float is at the empty and full levels. I'm assuming a bad fuse would produce only infinite ohm readings. Additionally I checked continuity of the wires from the baffle plug to the meter plug and its less than .1 ohm. I'm thinking it might be a bad ground in the electrical box cover but then why would the gauge power up sequence appear normal?

I shorted the pins together on the gauge plug and got no response. I did this at the baffle plug which led me to believe I had bad wiring to the gauge. But there is continuity between the baffle plug and gauge plug!! This test was done on all three multi-function gauges I own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back