NOOB here - what are these 2 electrical connectors - please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sws01

Hello, all -
I'm new to the site and I hope someone can help identify these electrical connectors (see attached pictures).

The details:
> 2000 SeaDoo GTX RFI Millenium edition 5515 (green) 787 engine
> Digging around electrical box (in the rear, with the rectifier mounted on top (i.e., not the MPEM)) trying to diagnose some engine start and cut-off problems (looks like those will be fixed with new start/stop switch which is on order.
> Problem: Found TWO separate electrical connectors (pictured) that are not connected to anything. As I said, I don't think these are causing the problem I'm having, but I suspect that aren't helping things either.

> Electrical connector A: Two pictures, each has my hand holding the connector. Two wires, one red, one black, about 16 gauge. Relatively large, flat black connector, both male (I think, can't tell because of corrosion - sad). Black wire APPEARS (not sure) to go forward in a relatively small bundle of wires, not sure where beyond that. Red wire goes into a small bundle of wires (mostly red as well) and then APPEARS (really not sure on this one) to go into a square gray connector with 6 - 8 other wires that plugs into the bottom of the electrical box (on left side of elec box, 2nd position back from rear). Can't find any matching unattached connector anywhere within reach. Is this just a factory option that wasn't installed on this unit or something else? Pictures:

20130630_095642.jpg20130630_095652.jpg

> Electrical connector B: This is actually three separate connectors attached to the two ends of about a 3' long black 2-conductor wire, about 16 gauge each. It's zip-tied to a separate wire bundle high on the left side. I apologize for the lack of contrast and perspective (esp about the length of the wire) in the pictures. The picture shows all three connectors. On one end there is a two-wire connector (one male, one female, like a 4-flat trailer wire connector only with 2 conductors) with a protective cover on it. This connector does NOT fit the Electrical Connector A above. On the other end, the two wires are split. One of them has a lug connector on it, similar to the connector that you would see on a wire connected to a battery post. The other wire on the other end has a 3-amp blade fuse-holder on it, with a protective cap on the fuse holder. The wire coming out of the OTHER end of the fuseholder has been cut about 1/4" away from the fuseholder. I've checked the wiring diagrams available online and I can find NO 3-amp fuses, but I have confirmed that's what's in this holder. The weird thing to me about this connector is the protective cap on the end. It almost seems like it could be a "port" to connect something (like a test meter?) that needs connecting only occasionally. Picture (remember, it shows both ends of the wire and one end has a lug on one wire and a fuseholder on the other wire)

20130630_095727.jpg

Any ideas? All help, insight, information and commiseration appreciated.

there should be another connector there for it, there are 2 plugs coming off the rectifier (that square electrical part mounted on top of your rear electrical box) 1 plug is 3 yellow wires, and 1 plug is a red and a black wire, look around, its gotta be there, also the other plug, you can take all that off, previous owner had a quick connect batter charger on it

take a pic without your hand there

Last edited by a moderator:
Griz400 -

Hey, thanks for the quick reply and especially the info. I'll try to get a picture without the paw in there, but the wire keeps falling out of view. Any idea what those wires do? GTX seems to be running fine without the connection - WTH? Of course it's just on the trailer not in the water (yet). I'll look around for those wires coming off the rectifier and try to hook up, but the corrosion looks so bad inside the one in the pic that I may have to replace it. Yeah, I figured the other one was something up with the battery and a temporary connection, but didn't know they made quick connect charger connectors like that, but makes sense now.

Thanks again and I'll try to post later today if I don't find the connector coming off the rectifier.

Here are a couple of more images. I saw the connector mentioned earlier (the one from the rectifier). It's connected and fine. The one I'm asking about is different.

Here's one image:

20130630_140210.jpg

On the left in the above image you can see the connector coming from the rectifier and needed for charging as mentioned in an earlier post from Griz400. On the left, you can see the connector that I am asking about.

Here's another image, showing more or less the same thing:

20130630_140158.jpg

As I said the black wire out of this connector goes forward, but the red wire seems to go into the lower part of the electrical box. I've spent a long time looking and feeling around in there trying to find another disconnected connector that this thing could connect to, but can't see one. Looked through the online wiring diagrams for a connector with a single black and a single red wire and I don't see any that jump right out, but maybe I'm missing something.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back