No start and weak spark after carb rebuild 96 xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

davebolo

So my 96 was giving me issues last season of bogging on throttle up once warmed up. So this year I decided to rebuild the carbs, grey hoses replaced last year. Once I did this and reinstalled, the ski fired right up and all appeared good. Battery was weak so I put it on a charge for the night. The next day I tried to start it again, and nothing!!! Shut off fuel line and tried some starter fluid thinking flooding, nope. Then when I went to check spark, the back piston was a strong blue, but front was weak orange, then I went back to back piston and that was now weak orange and sporatic too... I am at a lose as to why this happened since the day before it fired right up...

Could the day before upon shutdown caused the flywheel pin break and misposition flywheel? Could this be the reason I first saw good spark then after other tests the flywheel shifted further to cause the weak spark on rear.. Fouled plugs from possible flooding after rebuild?

so confused and frustrated, and any advice greatly appreciated....

It is very common for the 96' voltage regulator to go out. In the front gray box next to the fuel tank find the voltage regulator and unplug the red wire. See if it starts and runs good.

Thank you for your quick response.. since my post, i did some more diagnosis, and it appears that although I think spark is weak, thats not the problem... My problem is flooding.. After cleaning plugs and letting pistons clears the gas in cylinders. It starts, however as soon as I put on the gas line it dies so its flooding... must be related to the carb rebuild I just did.... gonna put up new post...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back