No Crank No Nothing 1990 SP580

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody__t

Hello. I’ve got a 1990 Sea doo SP580. I am unable to get it to turn crank with the starter button and tether switch button. But when I do the screwdriver thing to the selenoid it runs. When I press down on the tether switch and starter switch nothing happenes. No clicking or anything. I’ve tested with muti meter to see if I’m getting power and I’m getting 12 volts to all the posts on the selenoid except for the top right with the wire that gives power to the starter. So because of that I thought it was the selenoid. So I went to Home Depot and got a 12 dollar lawn mower selenoid, I don’t know if I need a sea doo specific selenoid but I figured since these are such simple machines it wouldn’t matter. I’m pretty sure I have the wires all in the right spots because I looked the wiring diagram and traced all the wires to where they are supposed to be. I don’t know what could possibly be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello. I’ve got a 1990 Sea doo SP580. I am unable to get it to turn crank with the starter button and tether switch button. But when I do the screwdriver thing to the selenoid it runs. When I press down on the tether switch and starter switch nothing happenes. No clicking or anything. I’ve tested with muti meter to see if I’m getting power and I’m getting 12 volts to all the posts on the selenoid except for the top right with the wire that gives power to the starter. So because of that I thought it was the selenoid. So I went to Home Depot and got a 12 dollar lawn mower selenoid, I don’t know if I need a sea doo specific selenoid but I figured since these are such simple machines it wouldn’t matter. I’m pretty sure I have the wires all in the right spots because I looked the wiring diagram and traced all the wires to where they are supposed to be. I don’t know what could possibly be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Also forgot to mention that After I installed the Home Depot selenoid same thing. Nothing changed. Sorry for not reading over before posting.

The solenoid should have 4 posts. 2 small ones for the coil inside, 2 big ones for the switch inside.

One of the big ones should have 12v, the other big one should go to the starter. Like you said, you shorted the two big ones together and the starter spins so you have proven the "switch" part of the solenoid works.

One of the small posts on the solenoid should be grounded, the other is attached to the tether and start switches. Identify the grounded post and take a jumper wire from the positive post on your battery and touch it to the non grounded, small, post on the solenoid. If the solenoid is good then it will send a current through the coil, generate a magnetic field, shove the switch contacts together and the motor should spin. If the jumper on the small post works then you have proven the solenoid is good and that your problem exists in either in the tether switch, the start switch or the wiring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back