New Sportster Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

khoetech

Hi, I just bought this 1995 Sportster for 500 bux. It was pretty dirty and hasn't run in a few years. The ignition key is missing, battery gone too, and looks like some wires in the engine compartment aren't plugged in. I tried plugging the battery up, noticed there are two black negative cables. Was wondering if anyone here could help me out with some suggestions or some links to follow, thanks.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Looks pretty good for a $500 boat.

Yes... there are 2 grounds that both go to the battery.

I would pull the spark plugs out, and make sure there is some oil in the cylinders before trying to turn it over.

Since it was sitting... I would drain the oil and the fuel, and replace it with fresh. Also, in the oil system, there is a little in-line filter. Change it, then bleed the system to make sure the injection pump is working. If you see any hard oil lines... replace them too. Normally the only failures in the SeaDoo oil injection system are from plugged filters, or broken oil hoses.

Get your hands on the service manual to help you clean up the electrical, and do all the regular maintenance.

Good luck :cheers:

Thanks for the info. I figured I would need to drain all the fluid and do all that good stuff. I was able to get a manual for this thing too last night off a download site. The main problem though now, is I don't seem to have power to anything in the boat. Bilge pump, blower, lights, nothing. After doing some research I found that my boat has DES and of course the lanyard key is no where to be found. Do I have to have that plugged in to even run the electronics?

Congrats..

I just bought the same boat.... I am just learning about the boat as well... I have a lanyard but on this year boat it's not needed to start. But its a good thing to have it hooke up in case u get pop out of your boat.... Mine hadnt ran for 2 years, so I took it to a well known shop and they did a full service on it.... and it was worth it.... runs great. This weekend (4th of July) was on the lake which was very very windy and it was not the best ride but it was fun.... first time on my boat and got to see fireworks on the river with my lady friends... Anywho, I read the manual and I've been doing the blower4 mins before starting it up.... and I guess that is a precaution for the femmes build up...... Well good luck with your awesome purschase.... I'll keep u updated on my boats progression as well.... thinking about a bimini and the hydro turf but on the websit I dont see any mats for our year..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back