new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycleguy88

Hey everyone. I'm a new owner of a 2012 180SP and so far I love it! I knew I wanted a seadoo and when the SP came out, I was all over it. I'm about to rip out the junk stereo that came with it and install a complete JL system with a 900/5 amp, and 4 6.5" coax, and a 10" 500w sub. I'll add tower speakers another year, but this should get me going for now. If anyone has pics of where they installed their amp, that'd be great. Thanks.

BTW, this thing looks awesome behind my truck. LOL

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 171
great looking boat, good luck with the stereo. Here's a pic of my amp in the glove box.
The helm is a little different to yours.
cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 160
Thanks for the pic. I'm going to try and put my amp in the glove box too, as that seems to be the most commonly used place. I'll post up pics when i'm done with the install.

Thanks man. Right now i'm going to storage to check the speaker mounting areas to see how much space i have to work with. I'd like to put the JL M770 speakers if they'll fit, but the M650's if not. I dont have room to put the boat at my house, so it's in a storage building near by. I'll hopefully be doing the install next saturday. I think I may mount the amp on a thin board, and mount the board inside the glove box.

Do any of you know of a way i can run an extra remote to the back of the boat? The stereo came with a remote by the steering wheel, but i would like to add one to the back swim deck too. Can i just splice them together, or is there a Y fitting?
Also, i took out the factory speakers yesterday to see what i have to work with. It looks like Sea Doo cut the dang hole 6" wide, so the JL 6.5 won't work; their mounting screws fall short of 6" diameter. The JL 7.7 won't work either cause the "built in" shelves that are on the boat are maxed out with at 7.2" overall diameter (perfect for the crap jensens). Now i'm going to listen to some Infinity 612M and the Polk 6.5.

Im not sure which head unit you have, but for most of them, it is just a y splitter for the remote. Then you can add a 2nd one anywhere you want. I have a Clarion head unit and thats how I did it.

Where can you get a Y splitter? I figured that's how you do it, but i'm not sure where to get one. I'm sticking with the stock Jensen head unit BTW. Thanks.

Cool the y splitter is the way, as for the speaker diameter the Jensen speakers are a pain. Mid way between a 6.5 and 7".
My 6.5(ws xs-650s) went into the hole fine.
Good luck.
By the way my single din Jensen head unit melted after only a year. It also kept cutting out when the volume was cranked up. Hence I had to replace it and the two remotes too. This stuff is cheap and nasty!

well i hope the stereo doesn't fall apart that quickly, but we'll see. The way they cut the speaker holes is really causing some issues. I'd rather the boat come with no stereo at this point.

I ordered a set of SAU56 adaptors by scosche. I think they'll mount a 6.5" in a 7" spot, so we'll see. I hope this works, cause it'll open up my options. I'm going to cartoys today to check out some 612m infinity's and i'll measure them while i'm there. I'm really just trying to find good speakers that won't distort when the volume is up. I've heard plenty of speakers that do, and i dont want that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the Jensen head unit is a POS. I honestly wouldnt invest money to add anything that goes with it. If you buy the splitter and remote, when the head unit dies, that stuff will be useless. If you replace the head unit, jensen is the last company i would replace it with. But if you really insist, here is the type of splitter you need...im not sure of your exact remotes, so make sure it is correct.

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/35274.html

well i ordered it already, so i'll just hold out to see how long it lasts.

does anyone have any experience with MM651UM by polk? How good are they with high volume? They are rated at 100w RMS, so that is nice, but i haven't heard them.

Awesome awesome boat. The three that are landing here in Australia this year haven't arrived yet but I'm sure they will be snapped up quickly even though they are a lot more expensive than the equivalent challenger.

Just a quick note. I see the winder on your front jockey wheel is flopping around loose. I used one of those rubber wrist bands to secure it in a horizontal position and avoid the plastic part of the handle being smashed whilst in transit!

The Polk ultimate marine series are awesome speakers. For the price range, i havent heard much that is better. There are more expensive speakers that sound better, but for the price i dont think you can beat em. Thats what I plan on using in my next boat or if the Kickers I have ever fail, i will switch to the UM series.

The Polk ultimate marine series are awesome speakers. For the price range, i havent heard much that is better. There are more expensive speakers that sound better, but for the price i dont think you can beat em. Thats what I plan on using in my next boat or if the Kickers I have ever fail, i will switch to the UM series.

I tried out the infinity's today at cartoys. They were terrible at high volume. I'm going to try and listen to some wetsounds xs650 next.

I checked out the wet sounds but they lack the highs that JL will produce so I'm going to just find a way to make the JL fit. I bought some scosche sau65 adapters and I think they'll do the trick. I'll be installing it all this Saturday so we'll see.

I got it installed today actually. The weather was bad here this weekend do I had to wait till today. It sounds awesome!!! Ill post pics tomorrow.

OK guys, i got it all installed yesterday and it took about 6hrs total from start to finish. I used SAU56 Scosche adapters to fit the speakers. I countersunk the adapters so that the screws, that hold them to the boat, sit flush. The 4 6.5" speakers are JL Audio M650 and the sub is a JL 10" infinate baffel setup. I powered it all with a JL HD 900/5 amp that puts out a true 900 RMS watts (100w x 4 and 500w x 1). I can't thank everyone on here enough for sharing photos of their builds. Davo really helped me to figure out the correct layout for the amp and the sub. I also added an extra remote to the swim deck. I kept the stock reciever, since it's brand new and works just fine; it's actually a good unit with a front facing USB port and several menu options.

Attachments

• boat install 12.JPG
    boat install 12.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 142
  • boat install 1.JPG
    boat install 1.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 143
  • boat install 2.JPG
    boat install 2.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 137
  • boat install 4.JPG
    boat install 4.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 127
  • boat install 3.JPG
    boat install 3.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 139
for some reason I can only load 5 pics at a time, so here are some more pics of the build

Attachments

• boat install 11.JPG
    boat install 11.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 105
  • boat install 5.JPG
    boat install 5.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 126
  • boat install 6.JPG
    boat install 6.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 120
  • boat install 7.JPG
    boat install 7.JPG