New owner on 2001 challenger 2000 - cuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I decided to purchase a 2001 Sea Doo Challenger 2000. I had it on the water Friday pulling a tube around and it ran really well. Took it out again today pulling a tube around and it would randomly cut out while driving. It would start right back up again, but I’m curious what might be causing this. When I got back to the dock, I did notice that one of the two air tubes (which I’m guessing prevent vapor lock from the gas tank just by looking at how the lines run) was disconnected, so I reconnected it, but did not run the boat after that. Thinking of changing spark plugs, but also wondering if there’s anything else to look for?

TIA!
Brad

so I decided to purchase a 2001 Sea Doo Challenger 2000. I had it on the water Friday pulling a tube around and it ran really well. Took it out again today pulling a tube around and it would randomly cut out while driving. It would start right back up again, but I’m curious what might be causing this. When I got back to the dock, I did notice that one of the two air tubes (which I’m guessing prevent vapor lock from the gas tank just by looking at how the lines run) was disconnected, so I reconnected it, but did not run the boat after that. Thinking of changing spark plugs, but also wondering if there’s anything else to look for?

TIA!
Brad

Air tubes?? Vapor lock at the tank?? Not sure about either of these terms. What engine do you have?

Air tubes are to allow air into the gas tank so it doesn’t compress/vapor lock.
This boat has the 2.54 Mercury v6.
Fuel tank vent system.

Again, what engine do you have? There are several versions of the 2.5 liter V6. Different induction systems, charge systems, erc.

TIA!
Brad

Have you checked the emergency kill swich? The old rubber caps were known to weaken and fail.

Fuel tank vent system.

Again, what engine do you have? There are several versions of the 2.5 liter V6. Different induction systems, charge systems, erc.
Would me saying it’s a EFI system help? Otherwise I’m uncertain of more until I can get back by it to look for other identifiers.

With a 2001 Challenger 2000... you should have the 240 EFI (gen 1 - round flywheel cover). I have this same engine in my '00 Challenger 2k.

Another thing to check is if you have the Throttle Guardian installed on your vessel. I don't on mine, but many folks do. This TG can cut spark. It is a small black box mounted beside the main fuse panel for the boat, behind the dash, under the driver's storage bin. If you have the TG... cut the Black/Yellow wire and tap so can't touch (can always reconnect later if desired) to ensure the TG isn't cutting your spark.

Cheers!

infamous_throttle_guardian.jpeg

TIA!
Brad
I had these symptoms when I had a clogged/fouled fuel filter (the small inline one, not the water separator). My filter was likely fouled by water, since at the time I was having issues with water in the tank. Replacing it solved my issue.

Actually sounds more like a temperature sensor issue and the port temp sensor is always known to go bad.

I think I had a similar problem on my boat and that was the issue.

Have you checked the emergency kill swich? The old rubber caps were known to weaken and fail.
Looks like it could be the kill switch and tether connection. My tether is cracked and likely bouncing loose. Any suggestions on buying a replacement tether?..the universal one I bought keeps falling off. Otherwise wondering if if I need to get the piece that’s fixed on the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back