New Member--Some questions and problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanagon40

I just purchased a 1995 XP and a 1990 5803. Bought both as-is and neither would start. After a month at the shop (and more than I wanted to spend), both were given a clean bill of health.

Both started and ran fine for about 45 minutes. Then the 1990 quit (I think it might have been out of gas, but the reserve did not solve the problem). The 1995 was hard to start and limited to 4000 RPM. Changed the plugs (although they did not look that bad and were all new at the beginning of the day). 1990 still would not start (acted like it was starved for gas) and the 1995 still started hard and would run at no more than 4000 RPM (just enough to limp back to the ramp with the 1990 in tow).

At home, I added gas to the 1990 and it now starts rough, but will run (I quit after a few seconds because I have no water supply). The 1995 also starts.

Some questions: Where do I get a garden hose adapter (or adapters) so I can check these out in my driveway? Can I make one myself?

Any ideas on the 1995? I pulled apart the air intake and the spark arrester (I think that is what it is called) was not very clean, but I did not look like it was that restricted. When the 1995 bogged down, it was an immediate change--it did not begin slowing down and gradually get worse. Also, the fuel tank in the 1995 was replaced at the shop (recall part), so I should have had fresh, clean gas.

The spark arrester in the 1995 is a metal screen mesh. Can I simply clean and reinstall?

One of my problems is that the nearest lake is a good 90 minutes away, so it is not easy to run these skis on the water to check them out.

Thanks for any suggestions and let me know if you need any additional information. I have zero experience with jet skis of any brand.

I will try and go into more depth later but after spending more than you wanted to and they did not get eather one of them runing right I would take that as a lesson well learned. It is amazing how some of the repairs can be made by the owner in the same time that it would take to drive to the repair shop. Not all repairs can be made this easely but at least you will know how confident the work is. Not every one fells comfertable working on their own boat but if you have faith in your ability to understand and ask questions if you do not I would think you would be fine. This may not be for everyone but I believe it can be done if you are pataint. :cheers:

Where do I get a garden hose adapter (or adapters) so I can check these out in my driveway? Can I make one myself?

I am trying to be patient.

believe it or not, I got mine at home depot.. Go to where they sell garden hoses and you will see quick connects.

believe it or not, I got mine at home depot.. Go to where they sell garden hoses and you will see quick connects.

Seriously, he's right.:agree:

And since it appears you own a Vanagon, or at least at one time did, then you MUST have had to do your own work on Volkswagens:rofl: (89 Cabriolet and 71 411 here:)). Working on these boats isn't harder than working on VWs.

Your 1995 Xp probably needs to have the carbs cleaned out - fuel delivery issue from clogged internal Carb filters and possibly in the fuel selector valve would cause a low rev problem. And it wouldn't surpise me if the 1990 also needed it.Click here for more info

Once cleaned up, you'll need to ensure the carbs are adjusted correctly (easy to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back