New Guy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

slsleesmith

Hello all. My brother and I bought 2 yamahas a few years ago. Both were 10 years old, 2 strokes, and we had more problems with them then time actually on the water. We spent a majority of our time at the dock with tools. It was such a joy! We ride on the Chesapeake where our parents live and of course love the water. We ran into problems with getting them serviced down there as well. Everything down there is Sea-Doo. Probably should have taken that into consideration before we bought Yamahas.... anyway we are going to give Sea doo a shot and get a brand new one to start and will add another one in the very near future. I have been looking at the GTI SE with the 1503. I have heard that the 900 is somewhat of a dog compared in the GTI SE. I could be wrong? I am hoping to learn a lot on the maintenance side of the house on here because I know from past experience how important this is. We never really new what we were doing to be honest and with a new ski we will know what we are getting, vs questioning if we are inheriting someone else's problems. I'm hoping the manual will be a great guide and tool to use once we get the ski, but I see a lot of you guys are experts and would greatly appreciate any and all advice! I would like to start assembling a specific tool collection and products (inventory) to ensure I have most of what I need to get through the first season. We have a dual bunk lift installed and I am planning to build a shed to keep them winterized and protected in the winter. Thank you and maybe I will see you on the water!

The non Super Charged Engines require very basic tools as the 4-tec engines are simply fantastic. Change the oil and spark plugs every year. It will last for many hundreds of hours.

4-tecs MUST have good plugs. One bad one and they run pretty bad. Use the ORM style plug, nothing hotter or special tips ect ect. They will not help and can affect performance.

Get a pump and change your own oil, it will save you like $100 per change. My pump was like $40, worth every penny.

When replacing the oil, read the manual as there is a specific procedure to get all (most) of the oil out. Also, do NOT overfill the oil as it creates crankcase pressure and the engine has a decreased performance.

That is some really good information CJoe. Thanks for that. I see allot of talk about 10 hr service on here. What does that cover?

At a shop, it covers oil and filter. I do mine once a year, just before the end of the season. I moved to FL so now I really don't have an end of the season, so I do it every December now.

I am a salt water rider. So I used Fluid Film or CRC for my metal parts, salt away when washing, and WD-40 for my trailer. My skis are 2009 and 2010 and they are still in very good shape.

Change the anti-freeze every 2-3 years. Even if it tests good, it looses the additive that protects the metals and lubricates the bearings and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back